STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

penis infection

i know this isnt exactly to the subject but i didnt know where else to turn. I have had an infection on the foreskin of my penis for a month or so now and i hoped it would go away, unfortunately it hasnt. the problem seems to be that whenever i pull back the skin to clean the foreskin rips in some places as if it has been shrunken and it bleeds. it is incredibly painful and sometimes hurts when i urinate. i think it may have happened when i got some conditioner on it a while ago and it hasnt gone since. i cannot see my doctor for reasons i wont go into but if there is any way i could speed the recovery process advice would be much appreciated
thanks
COMMUNITY LEADER
It sounds like it could either be balanitis, which is a fungal infection, or a bacterial infection, and needs an antibiotic.  You could try an antifungal cream, or go to the doctor.

I have no idea why you can't see the doctor, but if its because you are married, share a doctor, etc., you could always go to an std clinic and self pay and it won't show up on insurance.

Neither of these would be sexually transmitted, so it would probably be ok to see your regular doctor.

Aj
what is an anti fungal cream that i could use? do i need a special one or would a general fungal cream be alright? also would this be classified external or internal use?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I can't advise you about that, not knowing for sure what it is.  I'm not a doctor, so I can't make that diagnosis, and I can't advise you if you haven't gotten a diagnosis.

Aj
ok well it ends out i have phimosis "the inability to retract the foreskin from the glands" and it was caused by a chemical exposure eg.soap or conditioner in this case....
it is apparently a symptom of balanitis so what would you recommend? also is this a prescription thing or can i just go to any pharmacy and get a anti-fungal cream for it?
COMMUNITY LEADER
How did you find that out?

And I can't advise on that - its not an std, so I don't know if I'd be giving you the right info.  You should post in urology or men's health.

aj
i found it out from all over the internet and it sounds like i have phimosis.
i think il post in the urology forum but thank you anyway
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.