Avatar universal

What is it that doctors can't diagnose?

Since 4 months ago I have an itch, pain during urination and frequent urge to pee. The first doctor I went to said nothing to worry, diagnosed UTI from my urine sample and gave Cefuroxime Axetil for 5 days and he said nothing to worry about it will be flushed out just drink plenty of water btw. it was gone for 2 weeks and back again so I completely ignored going back to that doctor. i went to another doctor which also took a sample of urine and gave COmazole-N for 3 days. it was gone but not totally so i went again and he prescribed Doxycycline for 7 days. I was quite happy with the result and then I started to feel an itch on the tip of my penis but no frequent peeing. I have to tell you that there is no lesion or symptoms associated with Chlamydia or Gonorrhea. this time around I went to our STD community clinic. The doctor knows about my HIV+ viral load which is undetectable by gods grace. he asked me to do RPR, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia test. results came out so Gonorrhea and Chlamydia were negative but syphilis was low titer which I had been treated for 6 months ago by 3 shots of penicillin. I thought maybe its syphilis that is impersonating UTI and I should get more treatment for that. next day I visited the clinic and he told me no it's not syphilis but urethritis NGU since chlamydia and gonorrhea are ruled out, from where he came up with that I don't know because I didn't give any lab test for NGU.  he has prescribed Azithromycin for 1.5 g for 5 days. I have dysuria yes but not discharge from penis, irritation or tenderness. What should I do? our clinic doctor is not an STD specialist and I am not in a condition to travel to another city to visit one.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
207091 tn?1337709493
I was thinking what Facundo was thinking - prostatitis. Has anyone done a PSA test or a prostate exam?

When they treated you for the UTI, did they find bacteria in your urine, or just blood? Protein? Anything?

In any case, can you get to a urologist? They can treat you for recurrent UTIs, if that's what you have, or an infection in your prostate, or inflammation or whatever is happening.

Let us know what happens.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your reply, no I have not been asked to do a PSA test ever.

I believe they did not perform cultured urine test but just the one that the dip the stick in the urine sample and yes they said signs of infection and also protein has shown.

Tomorrow is the last day for my antibiotics medication and right now there is no painful urination (or way slightly only at the beginning). So until when should I wait for before making next move?

Give it a few days. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, lay off any alcohol, juices, etc., all of which can irritate the bladder.

This could still be a simple UTI that needs further treatment. It could be a kidney issue, and protein in your urine sometimes can happen with prostate problems.

I think if you aren't better by Thursday, you should ask for a referral to a urologist. Whatever is happening can be treated by one.
Avatar universal
Have you considered prostatitis? That can mask as an UTI sometimes
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.