STDs Forum

A little scared

Hello.

First, let me say that I think this is a great thing that you are doing here.  It's not easy to get infor on STD's without being judged.  Kudos.

As for me, here is my story.  I am a 34 yr. old male who was married up until about 6 months ago.  I have never strayed, or had a "one-nighter".  Well, about 8 weeks ago that changed.  Some freinds took me out to celebrate my "freedom" and I had a unprotected one-nighter with a woman I didn't know.  She performed oral, and we also had vaginal intercourse.  

About 2 weeks later, I went to my local clinic and was tested for all of the bacterial infections and all came back negative.  About 2 weeks after that, I was tested for HIV.  I was also negative with that.

I have had some symptoms that don't really point to anything, but they showed up almost immediately after.  
First, I must say that there hasn't been any blisters or oozing, but my penis occasionally feels irritated.  It sometimes feels as if it is mildly sunburnt or spent too much time masturbating (which I have not).  Other times I have some mild itching as well.  Another thing which may have nothing to do with anything is that the skin just below the rim of my penis seems to have a glossy shine to it. Also, for about a month or so, I have had some lower left abdominal "cramping"  it doesn't bother me when sitting or standing, but in the evening when laying on my side, it can be mildly uncomfortable.  

Is this herpes?  My clinic doesn't test blood for it.  Is 8 weeks too early to test?  Is herpes as easy to catch as I have heard?

Your symptoms don't sound like herpes.  I suspect they are related mostly to the anxiety you obviously are feeling.  But you could be tested for HSV; 8 weeks is OK.

I don't know what kind of place "your clinic" is, but any health care provider can test for herpes.  "I don't do that test" usually means they don't understand the disease, the test, or how to interpret the results.  Tell them to send a blood specimen for the HerpeSelect HSV-2 test; if their usual lab doesn't do it, have your provider instruct the lab to send the specimen on to Quest Labs (a large national lab chain--the local lab will know how to do it).  Quest uses HerpeSelect as their primary HSV test.

But I reemphasize I really don't think you have herpes--so the testing may not be worth the hassle.  It's up to you if you want to pursue it.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thank You.

The main reason I want to get tested is that when/if I reconcile with my ex or start a new relationship, I want to be able to say with 100% certainty that I am STD free.  Everything has checked out but herpes.  

Thanks again for your words.  I guess I just needed to hear that it was unlikely that it is herpes.
Hey all,
  Does any notice how many more guys are worried about getting herpes, hiv, et cetera, from a woman than vice versa?  The majority of these posts are from guys.  I wonder why that is....
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.