STDs Forum

Bleeding during vaginal sex

I received unprotected oral sex from a female escort, and we had protected vaginal sex.  During intercourse, she had bleeding, which I could clearly see on the condom.  She told me that she had just switched her birth control and the doctor told her that spotting could be a problem.   Since I was very worried about this, I was very careful when removing the condom.  Although I did not see her blood on me, I showered up immediately with plenty of soap and water.  This woman told me that she is checked regularly by a doctor who knows about her job, and that she had just had a battery of STD tests just before switching birth control methods.  Still, the sight of blood has me very worried.  Should I be particularly worried about this potential exposure?  What should I be looking for?
Welcome to our Forum.  I will comment a bit about bleeding in a moment as an educational effort BUT, before I do, let me tell you that your risk for ANY STD, including HIV from the exposure you describe is very, very low.  Your partner told you in a credible way about the steps she took to make sure that she was not infected in a way that was believable.  Even more importantly, you used a condom- condom protected sex is safe sex and virtually assures you that you are not at risk for acquisition of any STD, including HIV.  Condoms are physical barriers to STD acquisition and studies have repeatedly shown that properly used condoms protect against STD acquisition.

Now for my educational comment.  Bleeding as a consequence of menstruation is a normal female physiological function and does not greatly increase risk for any STD other than perhaps these that are blood-borne, i.e. HIV and hepatitis B.  As I said before, however, condoms take any such risk to essentially zero.

The other sort of bleeding which occasionally occurs in women and may be a sign of STD is what is called "intra-menstrual bleeding" and this sort of bleeding between periods (often induced by intercourse) is an occasional sign of STDs such as gonorrhea or chlamydia.  On the other hand, this is a very non-specific sign which has many other alternate explanations including changes due to changing contraceptive pills.

In your case however, I repeat, there is no risk for STD from your single condom-protected exposure.  Thus there is also no reason for STD testing related to this exposure either.  I hope my comments are helpful to you and put your mind at ease.  EWH
Thanks for your reply.  I am sure that much of your job is to allay people's fears, and it is very helpful.  Still, there was unprotected oral sex, and I do worry about that.  I should mention that this encounter occurred around 36 h ago.  Around 24 h later, I noticed that my urine was darker than normal, almost orange, and had a strong smell.  Again, this morning, my urine also had these properties.  Could these be signs of a bacterial infection?  Should I get to a clinic and get tested?
I didn ot say much about oral sex because the risk for oral sex is low.  Oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted through oral sex; chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.   If you had gotten gonorrhea or NGU you would have most likely developed symptoms of urethritis (penile infection).  Color change in the urine however is not an STD symptom.  Even if your partner had an STD (any STD and it is likely she did not), most exposures do not lead to infection.  In your case, your exposure was brief; I would urge you not to worry. If you must, you could go to your local STD clinic or health care provider to be tested at this time.  The tests will be negative and in my opinion, you do not need testing at all.  EWH
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.