STDs Forum

Blood and Kissing

In the middle of December I kissed a random male for a period of time. He had extremely chapped lips and I am positive that I tasted blood. Moreover, I had a cut/crack on the inside of my upper lip. I do not think that it was bleeding at the time, but it may have been open. It was dark and I am not sure how much blood was present. Does the amount of blood present matter for the risk of HIV infection from kissing?

It is now the end of January and I have been feeling sick for about two weeks. I have a cold with a sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, and I am really exhausted. How risky was my encounter, seeing as there was blood involved (and I am not sure how much)? Also, how long do the first symptoms of HIV last for? Lastly, how long after my encounter would a HIV test be accurate? This whole situation is completely consuming me, so any advice would be great. Thank you in advance!
This questions should have been posted on the HIV prevention/safe sex forum.

Kissing isn't a risk for HIV, blood or no blood.  You're feeling sick because of your cold; there is no reason to suspect HIV.

All your questions have been asked many times on the HIV forum.  Search the thread there for answers. The most important of them is that symptoms never are a reliable indicator of new HIV infection, especially in low risk situations like this one.  But truly, they don't apply to you--assuming you don't have other HIV risks other than the kiss you describe here.  Anyway, the symptoms of new HIV infection are no different than the symptoms of a hundred other conditions, all more common than HIV.

It is definitely inappropriate for this situation to be 'consuming' you.  But of course get tested if this reassurance isn't sufficient and you need the security of a negative test result.

HHH, MD
You have nothing to worry about.  HIV has never been transmitted by kissing with or without blood.  I guess theoretically it's possible if both of you had overt gushing wounds, but I doubt you would be smooching if that were the case.  Your just experiencing fear, we all do.  But believe me it's completely unwarranted.
No risk at all from kissing.

Man, is it just me, or is this new format completely impossible to read/follow? Is it because I have a Mac? I mean, I've been okay with the fact that it's the year 107, lol, but at least it was visually appealing. This is driving me nuts.
Hey, never mind about the horrible visuals. I don't know what happened, but suddenly everything is lovely. I really like the new site! Cool :-)
Does it matter that I had a cut on the inside of my mouth?
No, it does not matter.  You are not at risk for HIV.
I guess I am just wondering how the risk is so low if I had a cut in my mouth and there was blood present....
It just is.  Given no known HIV transmissions by kissing worldwide in the quarter century of the AIDS epidemic, the frequency of kissing, and the frequency of sores or similar problems in the mouth (e.g., gum inflammation), it is clear that the risk is zero for all practical purposes.  It might have to do with the fact that saliva inactivates HIV.  So although the biological reasons aren't always clear, except for a few special circumstances, HIV is just very hard to catch or transmit.

So don't argue with good news!  Accept the reassurance and move on.
Thank you for everything. You really do an amazing job here.
I could be wrong but ins't it a possibility to transmit syphilis through this route if there had been a cut on both people and one person had syphilis?
Hello again. Unfortunately,  I have been unable let go of my fear of HIV. I tested at about 6.5 weeks and it came back negative. However, my partner (who was not the other person I kissed...a big mistake) has now come down with a high fever, chills, cough, and whitish toungue...all of which have lasted about a week and are still ongoing. The Dr. tested him for the flu and said it wasn't that...so I immediately am worried about ARS symptoms. Ever since my mistake kiss, my partner and I have been using condoms...but I am still worried that somehow I infected him. I am almost at the 13 week mark (only about 1.5 weeks to go) but I just can't get this out of my mind. Any thoughts?
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.