STDs Forum

Burning

I was diagnosed and treated (some form of acid) for HPV a little over a year ago. I was told I have a mild form (my PAP came back normal) of HPV and given Aldara for break outs. I've had a couple external warts which have gone away after applying Aldara. Other than that I really haven't had any trouble.

I am in a monogamous relationship with my fiance (not the one who gave me HPV) and we've talked about it and he hasn't had any symptoms. We use condoms, but not 100% of the time.

Just this past week though, after having sex and using a condom and lubricant (named H20 and supposedly better than KY, etc) I've had a burning sensation right inside of my vagina. I haven't noticed it bothering me when we don't use condoms. We haven't switched brands of condoms or lubricant, so I'm worried that it has something to do with my HPV or an allergic reaction.

The walls of my vagina have a sort of uneven texture which I know is caused by the HPV. Other than that, I haven't had ANY pain previously. I don't have a yeast infection either. It especially burns when I urinate after sex, I suppose the acid is affecting it.
Is it possible I have a specific internal wart causing problems, or no?
Are there any effective internal treatments that don't involve a doctors visit and acid bath?
I am confused by the wart treatment you describe.  Trichloroacetic acid or bichloroacetic acid applications are often used in doctor's office, but there is no standard "acid bath" that patients use themselves.  And most provider would not prescribe both "acid" and imiquimod (Aldara) simultaneously.  In any case, either of those treatments can cause irritation of the treated tissues that might explain the burning sensation you describe.

However, if the burning consistently appears only with condom use, allergy or chemical irritation due to latex or to lubricant sounds like a good bet.  You might want to try non-latex condoms (e.g., polyurethane or natural membrane condoms) and/or change lubricants.  Yeast also is possible; I'm not sure how you can be certain that isn't a problem, if you're going only on the basis of symptoms.

In any case, you should not assume you have persisting warts unless that is confirmed by a knowledgeable health care provider.  The "uneven texture" you describe isn't necessarily due to HPV, but I cannot judge whether or not you have internal warts.  Burning itself generally is not evidence of warts or HPV infection.

Bottom line:  Try different condoms and/or lubricants; and if the symptoms persist, see a health care provider. In response to your last question, I recommend against trying to self-diagnose or self-treat possible persisting HPV infection or warts.  If cost of care is the issue, you could try your local health department STD clinic or family planning clinic for expert, confidential, low-cost (often free) care.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
umm.... i have a question. ok about a couple of days ago me and my boyfriend was having sex and we had to stop because while he was cumming i stung and he said it hurt to bad to continue .and just recentally i have been worring that i have genitial warts could that cause it. and when we have sex. or should i say after we have sex i have this terrible burning sensation and i sometime have a little spoting? i don't know what to do!
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.