STDs Forum

Chafed broken skin, oral sex, HIV

Two days ago I brought a girl who I have been seeing on and off back to my apartment.  We were both inebriated and started fooling around.  We did a lot of clothed grinding on my bed, which during the course of these actions, caused one layer on the skin of my penis to chafe off near the glans.  The skin on near my glans looked like fresh dermis (not the outer layer of skin) after getting a nasty scratch.  I wasn't aware of this yet; so she proceeded to perform oral sex on me.  

I don't know the extent of this girl's testing history; so I am concerned that she may have something like HIV.  In the event that she had HIV, what are the odds that she transmitted it to me through oral sex (by blood in the mouth, etc.)?  Is this PEP warranted?

Thank you for the help.
You have posted on the wrong site.   Questions about HIV belong on the HIV prevention site.  I will do my best to answer your questions with this reply but, if you have additional questions or follow-up they must be on the HIV Prevention site.  Sorry

Actually, you should be asking question about infections other than oral sex anyway.  The chafing you experienced will make you susceptible to infection with oral bacteria   Should your penis start to get inflamed and have increasing tenderness to the touch, you should seek care and antibiotics.  There are more bacteria present in the mouth than anywhere else on the body.

As for your HIV risk, in my opinion, you can forget about it.  Unless your partner was an IV drug user, the chance that she has HIV is less than 1 in a thousand.  If she had HIV, the quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.  That you penis was chaffed does not change this.  Thus statistically it is far more likely that you will get hit by lightening than that you got HIV from this exposure.  I WOULD NOT suggest PEP.

Hope this comment is helpful.  EWH
I'm sorry for posting on the wrong site.  Perhaps this message can be moved to the correct area so other people could benefit from it?

Also, I would say that my penis was more than chafed - the skin came off from the high friction.  I think what you're saying, regardless of broken skin, is that a one time chance with a woman who gives oral sex is statistically minute to the point of being practically irrelevant.  Correct? If so, thank you.
Correct.  

No need to move this, your questin is answered.  End of discussion.  EWH
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.