STDs Forum

Concerned About Exposure Last Night

I have posted twice in the past and I sincerely appreciate the help with my questions. I'm writing about an exposure I had last night that I feel bad about. I met a girl in a bar and we went back to my place. She is an acquaintance of my friend but I barely know her. She was on top of me for about 20 minutes with only her panties on. I was completely naked and she was rubbing vigorously against my penis. Although she was wearing normal panties and not a thong, her panties were thin and only seemed to directly cover her vaginal opening. Her vulva/vaginal lips were exposed on both sides of the panty covering and I'm certain that her vulva and vaginal lips rubbed against my penis while she was on top of me moving back and forth. So, my questions are:

1) What is my risk of contracting genital HSV2 from this frottage exposure??? (I already have oral HSV1)
2) I have HPV with a small genital wart that I am treating with Imiquimod cream but has not yet gone away (the wart is on the other side of my penis, not the part of the penis that rubbed against her as I laid on my back, so I am sure the wart did not touch her) What is her risk of contracting genital warts from me???
3) I would like to continue applying the Imiquimod cream, but I also want to monitor my penis over the next 14 days for any signs of herpes. Is it possible that application of Imiquimod cream could delay/alter the appearance of HSV2 lesions, so that I would not know if I have acquired HSV2??? I know the blood test for herpes would not be affected by Imiquimod, but I'm wondering about the appearance of herpes lesions. Can I continue applying the Imiquimod??

I'm very concerned I acquired genital HSV or gave her HPV. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
Welcome back to our Forum.  May of the concerns your express are not too different from those you discussed with Dr. Handsfield about a year ago and much of what was said is relevant to the questions/concerns you express.  The exposure you describe was very low for acquisition or transmission of any STI and at this point, what is going to happen has- further worry about it is not a productive effort.  If your wart is under treatment it should reduce your already low risk of HPV transmission and the statistical risk of you getting HSV from her is low- you do not know if she even has HSV and if she did, the mathematical risk for you acquiring HSV is less than 1 in 10,000.  

As for your specific questions:

1) What is my risk of contracting genital HSV2 from this frottage exposure??? (I already have oral HSV1).

See above- very, very low.  While there is a theoretical chance that you might have acquired HSV, the risk is extraordinarily low.

HPV infections are transmitted through direct contact of an infected site and the friction associated with sexual activity. If your wart did not contact her, there is certainly no meaningful risk for you to transmit infection to her.  Even if there was contact, the risk for transmission is quite low.  

See above- the risk of having acquired infection from the encounter you describe is quite low.  There are no data on the use of imiqimod for prevention of HSV or that it would change the manifestations of infection if you were infected.  I see no reason for you not to continue to use your imiqimod.

My sense is that, over all, you are worry entirely too much about this encounter.  I urge you to put these concerns behind you and move forward.  EWH
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I understand the risk of HSV is very low. I was wondering if I could ask one more question. Have you ever seen someone acquire genital HSV2 from frottage?? I take it you don't think I need to get an HSV blood test from this encounter? Thanks so much.
No, I've never seen anyone get HSV from frottage- not ever.

Further, I should tell you that we recommend strongly against using the blood test for HSV diagnosis.  Particularly for you since you already have HSV-1, your risk of have a falsely positive blood test result is rather high.  EWH
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.