STDs Forum

Days to wait after treatment

Hi Doctor-

Two weeks after I had unprotected sex I was treated with a single dose for chlamydia. I did not have any symptoms, and I was not told to wait a specific amount of time before having sex again. So, five days later I had unprotected sex.

After reading that standard medical advice is waiting one week before re-engaging in sex after treatment I am very concerned that I could have infected the new partner. Could you let me know what type of risk there was that I still could have infected five full days after single does treatment? I was asymptomatic.

Thanks.
Welcome to our Forum.  This is a good question. The recommended 1 week interval has never been studied and I suspect it was originally made to be safe, particularly in situations where multiple doses of medication were given for therapy.  You were treated with azithromycin which is effective as single dose therapy and you can only kill a bacteria once.  The chance that you infected your partner is very, very low and I would not be concerned.  

BTW, just in case you were thinking of getting tested to be "sure" your infection had been eliminated, don't.  The dead chlamydia bacteria can be detected in specimens for up to three weeks following therapy.  For that reason, as well as the high efficacy of the treatment, testing to verify cure is not recommended.

I hope this helps. EWH
Thanks a lot. One reason that I became really concered that I had infected even though i had been treated 5 days earlier is that the new partner says she has a UTI infection now. This infection came about exactly 3 weeks after we had unprotected sex. I am just worried that it really is not a UTI and it is in fact the STD. Would chlamydia cause the type of incessant need to urinate with intense burning sensation? I know STD's can cause burning when urination, but she describes feeling uncomfortable and not well just sitting at her desk.
This could be an STD but it remains unlikely.  My guess is that her UTI is coincidental.  EWH
Doctor-

Since my last post, I have developed the urge to urinate all the time. I basically feel like not I (along with my partner) have a UTI. Furthermore, I have muscle soreness and joint pain. I am not making these symtoms up in my head. They are very real.  I do not know what to think. Even if waiting five days between single dose treatment for chlamydia and gonnorea was not enough to cure in time before I had sex with my partner, it seems like there is no way I would still be infected. I went to a clinic and got a urinalysis done which came up negative. I also got tested for trichamonas and am waiting on results.

Therefore, I am searching for answers as to what else could do this. Can viral STD's make you feel like you need to urinate all the time? Furthermore, I can only guess that if I had a viral infection that my white blood cell count would have indicated an infection in the urinalysis?

Please just let me know if I need to pay again, I just wanted to put this all on one post. I am very confused by this, and do not really know what else to do.

should I pay again to have my last question answered? Sorry im just not sure how it works.
You do not need to pay again but you have to wait until I get to your question.  If the thread runs on too long, I'll tell you (typically around 10 exchanges).  The fact that you ahve a negative urinalysis is stron evidence that you do not have a classical UTI. At the same time some women do get a problem called the acute urethral syndrome in which the bacteria which cause UTIs also cause similar symptoms but result in negative urinalyses.  These typically get better with a short (about 3 days) course of antibiotics.  

On the other hand, anxiety can also cause a sensation of the need to urinate frequently. any chance this could be the problem? EWH
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.