STDs Forum

Fingering Worry

Hello Doctor, About 4 weeks ago I had an encounter where I met a girl in a bar, went up to my room and started to fool around. We only got into French Kissing and masturbating each other. While I was fingering her I felt a hangnail on my finger sting. After we finished, we got in the shower. I saw no blood. However, the next day the hangnail looked raw and there was a bit of a scab formed. I'm not sure if anything was able to enter, but I'm sort of freaking out that HIV may have entered. I've had no symptoms other than a dose of strep that she may have given me. Other than for my piece of mind, would you recommend testing? Many Thanks!
There are no documented cases of HIV transmission by hand to genital contact, with or without hangnails or other skin wounds.  Further, the odds are strong your partner didn't have HIV anyway.  I consider this a zero risk event.

Therefore, the answer to your question is no:  "other than for peace of mind", you do not need HIV testing.  But "peace of mind" is a valid indication, if this reassurance is not sufficient.  If you're going to lie awake worrying about it unless/until you have a negative test result, get an HIV test.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
What about if you touched the outside of the girls vagina (touching her pubes) and she gave a hand job. Then 2 days later I got a cold sore on my lip. Could that be herpes? I was already diagnosed with hsv 1 so that was prolly it due to anxiety. I need help.
A new question (as a comment in an existing thread) and the responses it generates always detract from the issues raised by the person who started the thread and so are unfair to that person.  I deleted yours.  Feel free to start a new thread.  (Or read other threads about the low risk of the exposures you describe, before you invest $10.00 in my predictable response.)

HHH, MD
I understand Dr., and I can appreciate that.

Can I just ask you "1" thing (it will help me sleep better this weekend).  Do you consider my risk a zero risk event like the original poster?  I am going to read through all your other responses now.  Thank you for being such a great help.

4GiveMe
I too had a fingering episode which had me concerned about HIV.  I tested negative at 2 and 9 months.  The doctor is right, peace of mind is indeed a valid reason for getting tested.  I can vouch for that.
I'm reading that there are some differences in Rapid vs ELISA tests. Would a rapid test at 6-7 weeks be a decent indication? Many thanks!
Since you are at zero risk and need testing only for emotional and not medical reasons, it doesn't matter which test you get.  The rapid vs standard test both are reliable at 6-7 weeks.

HHH, MD
Hello Dr.

I just wanted to apologize for trying to get a response in someone else's thread.  I have just been so terrified and scared about that exposure in question and I guess I just wanted some reassurance.  You really do an excellent job here and I just wanted to say "Thank You".  You truly are an inspiration.

4GiveMe :)
Hello again Doctor, sorry to keep bothering you, but I'd like to ask a couple of more questions, if I may.
1. Can you offer any explanations as to why fingering, abrasions and all, might not be a viable transmission vector for HIV?
2. This encounter was a major indiscretion on my part. Is it absoulutely zero risk for me to get back with my girlfriend?
Many thanks!
New questions that should be comments in earlier threads are not permitted and I deleted your new one.  Only a limited number of new questions is possible each day and there always are more attempts than can be accommodated, so unnecessary threads block new questions.  I review threads for about a week; if I don't respond, it's because I choose not to, usually because the issue has been addressed or the answer is obvious in my original reply or otherwise.

1) See my original answer:  "There are no documented cases of HIV transmission by hand to genital contact, with or without hangnails or other skin wounds. Further, the odds are strong your partner didn't have HIV anyway. I consider this a zero risk event."  The biological reason has to do with the difficulty of transmitting HIV and the dose of virus required to transmit.

2) Since you couldn't have acquired HIV, there can be risk to your girlfriend related to that event.  But of course I can't speculate whether you might have HIV or another STD from some other exposure you don't describe, so I never "guarantee" someone can't transmit something.

HHH, MD
Thank you, Doctor. Apologies for the double post. I'm just anxious for answers. My girlfriend is on long term assignment abroad, so have not seen her since. This was my first exposure since being tested fine in January 2006. Many thanks!
BTW, Is this a typo? "Since you couldn't have acquired HIV, there can be risk to your girlfriend related to that event. "

It should be "...there can be no risk..."? Sorry, a little paranoid here.

Many thanks!
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.