STDs Forum

Gardasil for men and HPV in men

I am a 35 y/o male who has been living with HPV since 2004.  Despite having HPV, I am in good health.  I exercise 5 times per week, I drink socially and I don’t smoke.  I learned about the infection when 2 small warts appeared on my penis.  I was prescribed Aldara to battle the warts however, I had some re-occurrences with one of them.  When the wart re-appeared, it was smaller in size and I continued to use Aldara to clear it.  Also, I’ve had plantar warts on my hands and feet since I was little.  

About 5 months ago I observed some white, small, very flat, cluster bubble like formations on the skin of the head of my penis that looked similar to the other warts I previously had hence, I believe this may be HPV related.  I’ve considered talking to a dermatologist however, desperation and frustration are taking over me.  I’ve been looking at alternative treatments like wartrol and viralfree however, I found nothing but mixed reviews of these products.  I have mentioned them to my Doctor but she wasn’t familiar with neither product so she didn’t say much.  Also, since Gardasil has been approved by the FDA to be given to males, she recommended it to me and I was given my first shot about 2 days ago.  Right after the shot, I decided to do some research about the vaccine side effects (something I should have done on the first place), and I found out that there have been several cases with severe adverse reactions to Gardasil, that include death.  I’ve experienced some of the normal side effects however, nothing serious.  

Should I consider wartrol and viralfree?  Also, based on the latest news about Gardasil and the fact that I already have the virus, should I continue with my Gardasil shots?

Like I said before, frustration and desperation are settling in and I am just looking for some logical and rational answers and this website has been the only place where I’ve found good information.  Thank you for your time and attention!

Welcome to our Forum.  The topic of HPV and genital warts is a complex one.  I will try to address your questions and provide some facts.  For additional information on this most common of STDs, I would suggest search for other HPV- and wart-related Q&A on this site, as well seeking addition information on sites such as the American Social health Association web-site (disclosure, Dr. Handsfield and I are both on the Board of ASHA)..

First a bit of background.  For better or worse, at present HPV is a "fact of life" and most people have it or will have it at some point in the future.  Despite this fact, only a tiny minority of persons with HPV get the consequences of infection (primarily women and primarily cancer and pre-cancerous lesions).  HPV is the most commonly acquired STD.  Over 85% of sexually active women will have HPV infection at some time in their lives.  The figure for men is less well studied but similar.   In some HPV will cause genital warts, in others it will not cause warts but may lead to changes in PAP smears.  In the majority of people who get HPV, warts or otherwise, the infections will resolve by themselves without therapy in 8-24 months.  In a very small minority of women, HPV infection can persist and lead to the pre-cancerous lesions that PAP smears detect and which can then be treated.  For men there is far less risk of any sort.  Your case is  a bit unusual in that you report that you state you have had warts for five years.  Your description and the description you provide lead me to first advise you to be sure that what you are dealing with are warts.  There are many other causes of wart-like bumps on the genitals, some of which are normal variations. For this reason I would encourage you to go on  and see a dermatologist to be sure that what you are concerned about are warts and not something else.  If they are, you can consider your therapeutic options.

As far as therapy is concerned, all treatments for warts have as a common element in that the goal of treatment is to destroy the wart, whether what is used to accomplish this is Aldara, cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen, laser destruction, or any of the other the means for wart therapy. Once the wart is destroyed, typically but not always the healing process in which skin regrows is typically normal and the person's warts are "cured".  I am surprised to hear that your warts have persisted for five years and not responded to therapy.  IT is for that reason that before you try any other therapy I would suggest you have a dermatologist take a look.  I know of no advantage of wartrol or viralfree over other therapies.

The HPV vaccine is recommended even for persons who have warts since although you may have one type of HPV the vaccine may provide protection against the other types of HPV included in the vaccine (there are 4 types of HPV in the vaccine).  As far as side effects, they are really rather few.  I would not let the tales you hear of rare serious side effects keep you from taking the vaccine.

Hope this information and suggestions is helpful to you.  Check out the web site I mentioned as well.  EWH

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.