STDs Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

HIV Positive EX

My first question is, does a cultures test test for all STDs or are there seperate tests?  Also will it test for PID bc I have chronic pelvic pain, like a fiery, stabbing feeling and my doc said it is normal, but I beg to differ. Recently, I had a cultures text that showed I had a build up of Stet B (I know I spelled it wrong). Basically, its not an STD (my test showed none), everyone has it but my immune system isn't working properly to keep the levels low. So I was given antibiotics.  Keep that in mind.

Second question, my boyfriend recently received a phone call that someone he had been with in the past six months tested positive for HIV.  He says he hasn't been with anyone in the past six months and thought it was me, but it wasn't.  Is it protocol to have someone who tested pos. to list all their sexual partners or just the ones from the past six months?  He thinks she is from at least two years ago. What are the odds he and I could have been living with it for two years (for me) and/or longer (for him) without knowing it?

Question 3:  I recently, gave blood because the same feeling I have in my pelvic I have in my left leg.  Would a routine blood test show HIV irregularities such as low blood count of T4 or whichever blood it is?  

Question 4: I have lumps in my vagina.  My doc says it is from ingrown hairs and if I squeeze them white stuff will come out, which it does, but I read you say on here if you don't feel lumps in your groin theres no swollen lymph nodes.  So does that mean if you do feel lumps you have swollen lymph nodes?  Could that be the case with me? How do you know if your lymph nodes are swollen and where are they?

Question 5: Do women with HIV usually have Stet B buildup because their immune system isn't fighting it off?

Just out of curiousity, what is NGU I read it a lot on this site?
2 Responses
239123 tn?1267651214
1) Separate tests are required for each STD.  There is no specific test for PID; it requires a pelvic exam, a clinician's judgement, and often blood tests and sometimes imaging tests such as CT scan or pelvic ultrasound. In other words, you need to see a health care provider to check it out.  Also, PID often occurs despite all standard STD tests beig negative (gonorrhea, chlamydia, etc); so you can't assume you don't have PID just because those tests are negative.  See a health care provider.

2) If your BF had sex only once or a few times with the HIV infected person, then the odds are strong his isn't infected.  But of course he needs to be tested to be sure.  If his HIV test is negative, you have no worries--assuming that's your only potential risk for HIV.

3) Blood tests do not check for HIV or for CD4 (formerly called T4) cell counts unless the provider specifically requests those tests.  CD4 testing generally is not done at all unless the HIV test is positive.  If you are concerned about HIV, ask your health care provider to test you for it.

4) "Lumps in vagina" doesn't make much sense; but perhaps you mean the vulva, or near the vaginal opening.  If your doc has diagnosed ingrown hairs (that is, folliculitis or just pimples), then that's what it is; your description doesn't sound like enlarged lymph nodes.  Persons really cannot accurate tell whether their own lymph nodes are enlarged; that's a job for a health care provider.  But most potentially detectable enlarged nodes are in the groin, armpits, and neck.  But no health care provider would ever mix up lymph node enlargement and folliculitis or ingrown hairs; they are easy to tell apart.

5) Perhaps you mean group B strep infection (?).  Group B strep is normal in the vagina, and doesn't indicate anything abnormal.  However, if group B strep is in the vagina when a baby is born, serious infections of the newborn sometimes can result.  If you aren't pregnant, group B strep doesn't matter.  In fact, most providers don't even test for it except during pregnancy.  Group B strep and HIV are completely independent of one another.  Having group B strep doesn't indicate an immune system problem.

NGU stands for nongonococcal urethritis, an infection of the urethra (urine tube in the penis) in men.

Best wishes--- HHH, MD
Avatar universal
Just i have only one question ,if  anyone have B Positive/a positive group,it means that he or she has HIV positive /infection of aids.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.