Aa
A
A
A
Close
STDs Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

HIV Symptoms?

I recently gave oral sex to another man. He assured me he was STD free before we did anything.  He didn't ejaculate in my mouth and I don't think there was any pre ejaculate either, as he ejaculated well after I performed oral sex on him. Other than that, he gave me oral sex, but nothing else happened between us. Two days later, I get a sore throat, runny nose and sneezing. I also developed an ulcer on the inside of my lower lip, but I have had these before, and I have been under a great deal of stress. I developed a productive cough a day or two later and a little bit of a decrease in appetite. I never ran any fever or had any body aches or rashes. I still have the symptoms 5 days later. I never have given someone else oral sex before, and I am a extremely worried. It seems like an odd time of year (spring) to develop a cold. Is this just a coincidental common cold or do I have reason to worry?
2 Responses
239123 tn?1267651214
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The symptoms you describe don't sound at all like HIV, and in any case HIV symptoms cannot come on less than 7-10 days after exposure.  Almost cerrtainly you caught a cold, either during that event (if you're close enough to have sex, you can catch a respiratory virus from someone) or from someone else.  Colds are common at all times of year, not just in the winter.  The most common cause of oral ulcers is a canker sore, which can be triggered by colds or other infections.  In any case, the events you describe were very low risk for HIV.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
I have lymphadenopathy symptoms after a potential exposure within 18 hrs. I read in your reply the following, it your statement accurate?

"HIV symptoms cannot come on less than 7-10 days after exposure." found at:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/STD/messages/2792.html

Thank you! you may reply to: ***@**** or here.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.