STDs Forum

HIV Test at 2 months

I had unprotected vaginal intercourse almost three months ago. About a month after this episode, the doctor diagnosed me with sinusitis.  Needless to say that I have battled this the last three months.  I just can't seem to get over this.  I just finished my third antibiotic.  I have worried that this may be HIV weakening my immune system, therefore not getting over this bout with sinusitis.  Could this be the case?  I also started (or just noticed) getting tiny, tiny red markings on my skin.  Some are raised, but most are not.  They are not like pimples or anything.  There is also not a pattern to them.  They are just sporatic on my body.  This frightened me also.  So much that I got an HIV antibody test two months after the risky encounter.  It came back negative, but have been worried that it may still not have developed antibodies.  Should I be okay with a negative test two months after the encounter?  I have just been stressed out about this.  You answers will be greatly appreciated.
Relax.  With a negative HIV test 2 months afterward, you can be 100% certain you did not acquire HIV during the sexual encounter you describe.  Sinus symptoms are not like those of acute HIV infection; and in any case, symptoms NEVER are a useful indicator for or against HIV.  (And by the way, it isn't at all surprising that your "sinusitis" did not respond to antibiotics.  Most cases of apparent sinusitis may not involve actual sinus infection; and most cases probably are not due to bacteria that would respond to antibiotics.  It likely was appropriate for your doc to prescribe antibiotics in the hope they would help, but lack of response really isn't a surprise and certainly doesn't indicate HIV.)

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Hi Doc., just wanted to make a comment.  I've often heard advice from you about going to the local health dept. STD clinic for low or no cost treatment/testing.  Well, I did just that, and they would not see me due to the fact that I am employed and with health coverage.  And even though I told them that I would gladly pay for it they still turned me down???  My HMO refuses to do the testing because they don't feel there is a medical need to do it.  I guess I'm stuck with going to a private doctor?
That's a very unusual and peculiar response; I have never heard of a public health STD clinic refusing to provide care to persons with possible STD or concern about it.  Feel free to tell them I think it is a totally wacko policy.  Feel free to tell them I said so. (What health department is it, by the way?)

HHH, MD
When I read your posting, I thought I was reading about myself.  I developed a sinus infection about 5 weeks after a potential HIV exposure (mine involved fondling a stripper's vagina with a skinned finger).  My doctor prescribed an antibiotic (Augmentin) for the sinus infection, which didn't help.  I also got worried about HIV, and was tested at 2 months (59 days).  The test was negative.  My test was done using my personal doctor and the test was done by LabCorp.

Since then, I have been prescribed additional antibiotics twice (for a total of 3 times) and have noticed the red spots you mentioned.  About 2 months after my HIV test, I developed a case of folliculitis where the strap for my laptop computer goes over my shoulder.  That really had me going, as I thought I was developing a rash.  I also got a bad cough from the sinus infection, and my doctor had me on a steroid inhaler for 6 weeks (with minimal improvement).  I developed other symptoms (hot flashes alternating with feeling chilled, loss of appetite, muscle pains, headaches, etc.), most likely due to anxiety.

My doctor wants me to have another HIV test 6 months after the potential exposure, to make sure that I'm fine.  I'll be going in for this test in the near future (probably just after Christmas).  

The reassurance that the doctor gave you was very reassuring to me also.  I'm sure the both of us are fine.  If you continue to worry about this event, you could always get another HIV test like I'm going to do.

Take care.
Wow! - Joe- you are 100% fine in terms of HIV.  I hope your doc is testing you for mental health reasons, not HIV reasons.  You would probably be the first person in the history of the world to get HIV in that way and after testing negative after weeks.  The is simply zero chnace you have it.  Rather than get an HIV test, take the money and buy lottery tickets, your odds of winning that are astronomically higher than you testing positive for HIV.

I thought so...yeah, they said if I had no health coverage and was "low income" they would help me.  The health dept. STD clinic in question is Sacramento, California.  And my HMO does not seem very educated about STD's...thanks for your response.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.