STDs Forum

HIV?

I WAS WITH A ESCORT THE OTHER DAY. THE ESCORT IS A MATURE LADY WHO HAS BEEN IN THE BUSINESS FOR A LONG TIME. SHE PERFORMED ORAL SEX ON ME WITHOUT A CONDOM. I HAD VAGINAL INTERCOURSE FOR ABOUT 1 MINUTE - AS I PULLED OUT I NOTICED THE CONDOM HAD BROKE. I AM VERY VERY CONCERNED WITH MY CHANCES OF HIV. I WAS TESTED LAST MONTH FOR INSURANCE. AND WAS NEGATIVE. HOWEVER I AM MARRIED AND HAVE A NEWBORN. I HAVE NOT SLEPT FOR THE LAST TWO NIGHTS, SINCE THE INCIDENT. IS THERE ANY SYMPTOMS I SHOULD LOOK OUT FOR? AND I KNOW I NEED TO GET TESTED. I ASKED THE PROVIDER ABOUT HER HISTORY AND SHE SWEARS SHE GETS TESTED ON A MONTHLY BASIS. I KNOW HER WORD IS JUST THAT. WHAT IS YOUR HONEST PROFFESIONAL ADVICE AND THOUGHTS? IS THERE A LOWER RISK BECOUSE OF VAGINAL INTERCOURSE AND LENTH OF TIME? AGAIN I WAS ONLY IN THE ACT OF VAGINAL INTERCOURSE FOR ABOUT A MINUTE AND I DO NOT KNOW WHEN THE CONDOM BROKE. PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU!
I have answered this question so many times; I can't keep repeating myself.  The short answers are 1) most commercial sex workers are not HIV positive; 2) most escorts who say they are HIV negative really are; 3) and the odds of your getting HIV, even if she was infected, was around 1 in 1000--probably less, given the brief exposure.  My "honest" professional advice (which is the only kind I give) is that your risk of getting HIV from the exposure you describe is less than 1 in a million; low enough that I do not recommend you be tested for HIV, but just mellow out and don't lose any sleep over it.

For more information, search the forum threads for "HIV anxiety" and "HIV transmission risk".  Good luck--

HHH, MD
THANKS DOC FOR YOUR HELP.
AFTER READING MOST OF YOUR ADVICE ON THIS FORUM, I FEEL MUCH BETTER. I KNOW YOU HAVE ANSWERED THESE SAME QUESTIONS NUMEROUS TIMES. BUT THERES ALWAYS THAT LEVEL OF COMFORT WHEN THE DOC IS TALKING DIRECTLY ABOUT YOUR SITUATION. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME. ONE QUICK QUESTION - SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT GETTING A TEST?

THANKS
LONGFELLOW
I think I have HIV also. I have somehow convinced myself that during a recent act, my condom "malfunctioned" and I've been exposed to HIV as well as Herpes. I think God is serving me a round of punishment for all the stupid s*** I've done in the past. Will know by Monday I guess. Think I need to go throw up.
Does anyone know of a disease/virus that would cause me to be cold when I wake up every day, and to get chills thruout my body when I'm touched or I touch myself (non masturbating)? This leads me to lean more towards HIV. Any of you have any other ideas? It's been ongoing for a few months now.
No STD, including HIV, will cause those symptoms--no chance.  No further reply; we're in someone else's thread.

HHH, MD
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.