STDs Forum

HPV Concern

hello doctors....

I was a hiv worried well just like several others....i tested at 3 months and got a negative result
Okay so my hiv concern is over (my doctor wants me to re test at 6 months which im going to this friday) but i am not concerned because I have already received my 3 month negative
      So now my issue is hpv. A month after my unprotected encounter I started a relationship with a female. Her and I have been having protected sex and will continue to do so. My concern here is what if i picked up HPV from my unprotected encounter and have passed it along to my girlfriend. She is 21 and has only had 1 previous sexual partner before me which was protected. I havent told her of my encounter in cancun  and rather not in fear that she might think differently of me.  (if possible to read my prior history of posts to get full story)

Last year I found a wart on my toe 2 months after having sex with another different female. I assume that i picked up hpv from this girl because the wart on my toe fit right into the timeline. I told my current girlfriend of this situation and she freaked out because although we know the wart causing hpv is the low risk, but what if i had caught a high risk strain also? I keep bugging her to get a Pap but she doesnt want her mom to find out (it would go under her mothers insurance) I also believe she is a bit timid to go through with one.  She will graduate college next year and assuming she gets a job/ her own insurance, she said she'll get a pap. So my concern here is I dont even want to think of the possibility of any of this leading to cervical cancer.  

1) As a experienced doctor what would you do in this situation?
2) Should she get a pap asap, or can she wait until next year?- what would you recommend?
3) Would immediate family members being diagnosed with a different type of cancer make someone more susceptible for catching cervical cancer?--dont know if this a dumb question or not?

Welcome to the STD forum.  Responding first to the follow-up question (below):  Yes indeed, you are "over reacting to this issue" which is definitely not "a cause for concern".

Listen. You probably already have, or have had genital HPV.  And you'll probably get it again.  Happily, you'll probably never know if and when it happens.  The answer is yes, you could have caught it; if so, you might transmitt the virus to your new partner.  This is the case for every sexually active person with past sexual relationships who then starts a new relationship.  Getting genital HPV is an inevitable, unavoidable, and usually unimportant consequence of human sexuality.  If your new partner hasn't already had HPV (or even if she has), she'll get it (again?) from future sex partners, if not from you.

In other words, this simply isn't something to worry about.  Of course she'll have pap smears.  And if one ever is abnormal, there will be no way to know when and from whom she was infected, and it won't matter.  It's simply a part of life.  To your specific questions:

1) I would not worry about HPV in this situation.

2) In the US, the recommendation is for all women to have pap smears once a year.  In Europe, routine paps generally are not recommended until age 30.  Your partner should follow her own doctor's advice, without regard to your relationship.  There is no need for you to be concerned about this or to discuss it with her.  It's not your problem.

3) No.  Past cancer in family members has no bearing on risks from HPV and makes no difference in your situation.

Of course all sexually active men and women should consider getting Gardasil, the HPV vaccine that protects against the 2 HPV types that cause 70% of cervical cancers, and the 2 types that cause 90% of genital warts.  Talk to your doctor about it; and you could also discuss it with your new partner.  But don't expect it to prevent all HPV infections:  there are 40 or so genital HPV types that are sexually transmitted, and the vaccine only prevents those 4 types.  However, it does prevent most of the potentially serious outcomes.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Am I over reacting to this issue or is this a cause for concern? I dont want to keep bugging her to get a pap because she might think that im hiding something which then would effect our relationship. I also believe if i she were to receive lets say an abnormal pap smear she would freak out and i dont want it to effect her school work.
what should i do?

We have used a condom everytime and will continue to do so
You're assuming she will be as "freaked out" about HPV as you are.  Most people are not; and although some women "freak out" at the idea of an abnormal pap, most do not; they understand it's fairly common and usually not serious.

It's probably best if you keep your anxieties to yourself, unless you want to discuss the vaccine idea with her.

And I forgot to comment on your toe wart.  Common skin warts of the hands and feet are not sexually transmitted and do not infect the genital area.  This is also a non-issue with respect to your new or any other sexual partnership.
thank you for the reassuring reply.....i was confused and didnt know what to do....thank you so much
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.