STDs Forum

HPV exposure

Dear Doctor,

My boyfriend of 1.5 years and I broke up this past december.  I decided to take a job outside the country.  I just returned in Aug and my ex and I recently decided to get back together.  We have not had any sexual contact, as he recently told me he was treated for a single seemingly small genital wart in July (he first noticed it in May).  He informed me that he slept with a girl in february.

A little about me:
I am vaccinated with Gardasil.  Were both in our 20's, don't smoke, and are in excellent health otherwise.   I have had about 10 sexual partners in my life, two of which when I was working out of town.  

I guess my fear is that if I sleep with him before he clears this virus (6 months + correct?) that I could end up with one or even 100 vaginal warts.

I have read a lot of your postings and I am just not sure if he had this before me or if he contracted the virus in Feb.  
How fearful I should be of contracting the strain he has AND how many warts I could end up getting?  
I know I have read it before but just for clarity, this is not a strain that I should be concerned about cancer?
Welcome to our Forum.  As I am sure you know, I can provide some statistical information which will help to place your risk for getting HIV from your partner in context and which I hope will be helpful in relieving your concern.  Here are some important facts:

1.  Most importantly, you have had the HPV vaccine. In the studies used to evaluate the protective effect of the vaccine on risk for warts, the vaccine provided 99% protection.

2. Further, with respect to your concern about the other HPV types, types 6 and 11 are two of the types found in the vaccine your received and these two HPV types cause well over 90% of visible genital warts.

3.  You note that your partner was treated in July.  Typically if warts are going to return, they do so in 3-6 months. the more time that has passed since his treatment without a recurrence, the lower the likelihood that he has infectious virus present and remember, even if he does have a recurrence, the vaccine is likely to be protective for you).  

4.  FYI the timeline your partner has provided is consistent with his getting infected by his other partner in February.

Bottom line, your risk for getting warts from your BF is very low, mostly because you have received the HPV vaccine.  If you want to be extra carefully condom use for a few months for genital sex will provide extra, added protection.

I  hope these comments will be helpful.  Your risk for warts is small and even if you should get one, they really are more of a nuisance than a health hazard.  Take care. EWH
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.