STDs Forum

Hpv and kissing

What are the chances of getting oral hpv from deep kissing someone with oral hpv
Welcome to the forum.

There are over 100 types of HPV, of which around 30 primarily involve the genitalor anal area and are transmitted almost exclusively by sex -- usually direct genital sex, but sometimes by oral-genital contact.  The transmission routes of the other 70+ types are not well known or well studied, and perhaps kissing is sometimes involved.  But kissing probably never transmits (or only extremely rarely) the genital/STD HPV types that you presumably are concerned about.

Happily, oral HPV almost never causes disease.  Despite all the publicity in recent years about one HPV type (HPV 16) causing throat cancer, that remains a rare problem and even in people with oral HPV 16 infection, the large majority don't get cancer.

Based on this question and the one you asked last month on the herpes expert forum, you seem somewhat overly concerned about STD transmission by mouth or through other non-sexual routes.  Such infections are extremely rare if they occur at all.  Don't worry about it.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
I'm confused reading all the info online , is the oral hpv and genital hpv different strains ? Is kissing now being looked at differently that new info about shedding hsv 1 and oral hpv have been learned and not considered as safe as it was used to be
Most or all the online and media attention about oral HPV has involved the genital types; I've not seen many (if any) discussions about the many other HPV types.

That said, I disagree with the premise:  I don't think kissing is viewed as any less safe than in the past.  Nobody should fear STDs from kissing, and most experts and most of the public don't look at oral herpes (due to HSV-1) as an STD.
One more question then I will leave you alone. Is HPV 16 the sexual strain of HPV and acquired through direct sexual contact or oral sex?
All 30+ sexually transmitted HPV types probably can infect the oral cavity.  Of those, HPV 16 is the only one known to cause throat cancer.  However, as I said above, most oral HPV 16 infections cause no cancer or other health problem.

That should wind up this thread.  Do your best to move on without worry.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.