STDs Forum

Idiot Boyfriend

It has been 5 weeks since my unprotected vaginal encounter of about 45 seconds with a female college student. I was unfaithful to my girlfriend and up until that point my girlfriend was the only person I had ever had sex with and we were both virgins. I have no symptoms and either does my girlfriend. I had sex with my girlfriend a little less then two days after I was unfaithful to her, so its been almost 5 weeks for her. I have several questions.

(1) Does having HSV-1 partially protect me from contracting HSV-2?
(2) What are the chances that three people will not show any signs 5 weeks after being possibly infected with HSV-2?
(3) Will having HSV-1 cause symptoms of HSV-2 to show up later then normal?
(4) I am not sure if the college girl is promiscuous or not, but what are the chances as an 21 year old collegiate female athlete that she might of had genital herpes? (She said she had no std's and that she had been tested)
(5) Do you think I am in the clear and should drop that infamous night and move on?
Directly to your questions:

1) There are conflicting data.  Most research shows that HSV-1 probably provides partial protection against HSV-2, but others do not.  My own belief is that some protection exists, but it's not something to hang your hopes on.

2) Lots of people catch HSV-2 without knowing it.  However, most probably have symptoms, just mild and not noticed.  Many people in your situation--i.e., worried about it and paying attention to minor symptoms--probably would know if they were infected.  In any case, the oods of catching herpes during any single event like you describe is extremely low, no more than once chance in many thousand. The chance that none of 3 infected people has no symptoms is even lower.

3) Having HSV-1 probably does not delay onset of HSV-2 symptoms.

4) On a nationwide basis, somewhere around 10% of all 21 year olds have HSV-2.  Among college students, especially if not ethnic minority, probably it's under 5%.

5) Yes, I think you should let this go.  The question in my mind is why you are so laser-beam focused on herpes.  The chance of chlamydia is much higher, and that's a lot more serious than herpes.  If you want to maximize your and your partner's safety, visit your PCP or a local STD clinic (or your student health service) for a chlamydia urine test.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
The reason I am so focused on genital herpes is because I have been tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea and the tests came back negative on two occasions. I am not worried about HIV or any other std as well. I just want to make sure my girlfriend was not effected by my serious mistake. Thanks for the answers.
Hi Doc,

I just recently did a Herpeselect test type specific. I have had no symptoms and it has been 6 weeks from unprotected sexual intercourse described above. I was looking around and trying to find answer about the test.

(1) Is 6 weeks enough time for IgG to detect HSV-2 antibodies?

(2) I was just getting over an oral HSV-1 outbreak on my lip, would that mess up my IgM results?

(3) Are IgM results type specific?

(4) How do I get a western blot test?
About 75% of newly infected people have positive IgG results (by the HerpeSelect test) within 6 weeks.  In can take up to 3-4 months.  A recent HSV-1 outbreak has no effect.  IgM results are useless; totally invalid and to be disregarded, whether positive or negative.  They are not type specific.  A Western blot is generally pointless in people with negative standard tests.  It is not designed to confirm negative results on standard tests, only to figure things out if the standard test is positive or equivocal, but not clear for various reasons.

Combining a zero risk exposure plus the negative test results so far, you should just forget herpes and go on with your life.

That's the last comment on this forum.  I will delete any additional ones without response.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.