STDs Forum

Last Hope for answers

Sorry this may be a bit long.  This is my last hope.

9 years ago had unprotected sex with a coworker. Within one or two days, 2 very prominent symptoms started.  #1 a flakey (almost scaley) round lesion on tip of penis head on the left side. Did not really itch or hurt and no burning or pain in urination. #2 very loose stool.  Not diahrea just very very loose and tough to wipe clean.  So I within a week go to my doctor and she does absolutely nothing.  Go back and again does absolutely nothing.  This continues till she brazenly threatens to have me committed for evaluation.  So I go to planned parenthood anonymously for testing 9 years ago.  Everything came back negative.  Now Even just a month ago I pay for testing again for the following:
HSV 1 = .08
HSV 2 = .10
RPR Syphilis Serology = Non Reactive
CT/NG Amplified DNA Probe Chlamydia AMP. DNA = Negative
GC Amplified DNA = Negative
HEP B Surface AG = Non Reactive
HCV AB = Non Reactive
HIV-1 AB. Screen (EIA) = Non Reactive

Ok so all that is good.  But after about a week of the first initial symptoms...more of those scaley (flakey) round lesions would appear.  Most of the time they show up on my legs but I will also get them on my inside of my wrists or arms.  I cannot ever remember seeing them on like my core body, like my back or chest or stomach. Always it seems on the extremities.  And the stool is still loose.  It just is not lumpy and "formed" like it had been before this intercourse.  Like my intestines are not doing their job. This has been going on for 9 years. And that coworker left the job because of a "hard to diagnose illness". I could never get back in touch with her to find out what. She just vanished. Now a horrible part.  My last girlfriend started getting those round lesions on her arm and her arousal wetness seemed to change to milky and not smell too good.  But again her normal tests came back fine. I know I am not being a hypochondiac (sp). These symptoms are definitely real and manifesting themselves in my girlfriend after having sex with her now. And no matter what I do, NO DOCTOR WILL DO ANY TESTS.  NONE!!!  So here is where I am starting to get REALLY FREAKED OUT.  If this is an infection and I have been needlessly living with it for 9 years how is that going to complicate this?  Is going into my spine chord or brain.  Will it be curable?  How do I get the tests from doctors to finally get this over with.  I swear to God this is just like that Seinfeld episode where elaine cant get answers because of her medical file said she was difficult. Oh And I had some (very little) weight loss and not perminent it was just for a couple of months.  Prolly cause of the loose stool.  Please Help.  I pray to God You have some insight and can lead me in a direction to finally get this resolved.  Dear God I pray.

Roasted_Monk
I wish I could help, but neither this nor any other online source is appropriate as the "last hope" or the definitive answer to problems like yours.  The opposite is true:  this is a source for initial, general information, to be confirmed by a health care provider.

The symptoms you describe, both 9 years ago and now, clearly are not those of any STD; and you have had negative tests.  I cannot say whether a medical or psychological problem explains your symptoms, but I suspect the latter, and it sounds like your doctors agree.  Symptoms are just as "real" whether the origin is medical or psychological.

You will have to follow up with your own doctors, or seek yet another opinion.  Please do not post follow-up "yes, but" questions or more detailed description of your symptoms or your sexual exposure circumstances.  They will not change my opinion.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Oh and those round scaley flakey lesions that appear on my legs and arms....start out pretty small like 1/8th inch and grow in roundness to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.  And when they get that big the edges almost seem raised and the center will be kind of white like new healed skin.  Oh and I really never get more than one at a time and it can be several months before another one will show up.  Thanks Again.

Roasted_Monk
The round lesions sound like tinea versicolor, but I'm no doctor.  At least you've had the big tests and know that you don't have STD's.  

Dr. HHH will have some words for you.  Probably will tell you that you need to show the skin lesions to a dermatologist, to relax about STDs, and that there is no way he can diagnose you over the internet.  

Please read the above.  Not looking for a diagnoses.  Looking for possibilities and looking to arm myself when I do go back to the doctors because as stated before THEY WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!  No testing.  No diagnoses. No treatment. No referrals.  NOTHING!  I just want to be armed with tools in belt when I go back to the doctors to get them to do what I need them to do.  And that is to find out what is going on.  As for your possiblity of the lesions, thank you for the suggestion.  That is exactly what I am looking for.  After researching tinea versicolor I am fairly certain that is Not it.  This behaves like a blood infection.

But again thank you VERY much for that insight.  That's all I am here for.

Roasted_monk
you need to post this at the The Undiagnosed Symptoms Forum
Sorry to disappoint steve123 or others, but roasted_monk's symptoms do not suggest yeast infection.  There is no such thing as "systemic" yeast infection that causes such symptoms (which is pure quackery); and systemic symptoms never accompany localized skin infections caused by yeast or other fungi.  And yogurt treatment--whether of localized (e.g., vaginal) yeast infections or to counteract intestinal colonization--does not work either for treatment or prevention.  Although some lactobacillus species help protect the vagina from certain infections (perhaps including yeast infection), the lactobacilli in dairy products(primarily L. acidophilus) do not colonize humans and have no protective effect.

HHH, MD

HHH, MD
Sorry for the double post; must have hit the button twice.

Also, the lactobacillis in yogurt is primarily L. casei, although acidophilus also may be present.  L. casei is the the main strain that colonizes cattle and is associated with dairy products.

HHH, MD
Sounds like a yeast infection to me,  which can also cause the problems in your intestine since a great number of yeast live there.   You might what to increase your yogurt intake or suppliments that contain bacillus bacteria, which helps to keep the yeast in your body in check.  They can get out of control depending on what you are eating, you take a lot of antibiotics, etc.  Women often get yeast infections when on antibiotics for this very reason,  the balance between yeast/bacteria gets out of balance and yeast thrive because the antibiotics kill off the yeast killing bacteria in your system.

I've had these similiar yeast/fungus patches on my body most of my life but I recently had some problems due to yeast,  had 3 genital yeast infections in a 5 month period (I'm male).  I changed my diet and haven't seen either since.

I would see a dermatologist and maybe talk to a nutritionist if the the dermatologist says it is yeast.  The derm will prescribe an *azole drug which will get rid of it but it will always come back if you don't change your lifestyle.  Yeast live on/in everyone and there is no way to avoid them, but you can control them.
Update everyone.  I went to a clinic 100 miles away this afternoon who specialize in STD's. I also went as anonymous.  The attending doctor...yes real doctor not a PA or nurse or anything; IMEDIATELY suspected LVG Chlamydia.  He didn't even hesitate! I had never heard of this and did not know there were different types of chlamydia.  If you do a research on the web which I just did...you will find that the symptoms match EXACTLY!!!!!  You could just cut and paste the symptoms with what I wrote earlier.  They took blood for serology.  I will have the results on Thurs or Friday.  I will certainly let everyone know how this turns out.  Sorry Dr HHH but maybe you should research this too.  You stated no STD had symptoms like mine.  Take a look.  You will see you were wrong.  Don't worry if the test show positive or negative I will post the results.  I actually hope for a positive so I finally know what has been happening.

Roasted_Monk
I am very familiar with LGV; indeed, I am coauthor on a new research study on LGV, which my colleagues and I are writing up for presentation at a scientific meeting.  I will be extraordinarily surprised if it turns out you have it; not one symptom you described suggests LGV to me.  Not knowing anything about the provider you saw, I cannot comment on his expertise, but I am nervous that you have found someone who is mostly interested in working you up for the income it will bring.  (But apologies to you and the doc if I turn out to be wrong about him.)

HHH, MD  

By the way, to my knowledge there has not been a single documented case of LGV in the U.S. in a heterosexual man or woman for 20 years, except for the occasional case acquired elsewhere and diagnosed in this country.  Occasional cases are seen in gay men, with a possible increase recently, especially in NYC.

HHH, MD
Yep, Dr. Handsfield rocks. I'd not heard of LGV, so I just went to the CDC site and looked it up. I think you might want to do the same. Seems to me the chances of you having LGV are less than the chances of you getting struck by lightning while walking into the 7/11, on your way to cash in the winning lottery ticket you just found lying on the ground in the parking lot.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.