STDs Forum

Lesion Question

About a month ago I went to the gym that day, tanned nude at the tanning salon and went out for the evening. That night when I got home I was peeing and I noticed a small pencil sized raised shiny flesh bump on the head of my penis that did NOT hurt at all and it didn't appear to be red or colored at all. I did not have any of the prodrome symptoms I have read about. It was the natural skin color with no pain. I searched probably 500 websites on Herpes and it did not look like a single one of those lesions. About 3 to 4 days later after applying various creams and oils on this, it basically flattened out and I was left with a shiny wrinkly flat skin except for one of the corners which appeared to be a white dot about the size of maybe the size of 2 pencil tips around and it was slightly raised so I popped it and white puss came out. To this day where that white puss came out there is a very slight white scar where I poked it open and the skin at that sight is still shiny. I have NOT had any fever or enlarged lymp nodes or anything. The only sensation I did have was an occasional sting on the right side of my penis away from this bump that just went away after a month. Any ideas what this might have been Doctor?
Of course no online or other distant provider can provide a definite diagnosis.  But the combination of expressing white material plus lack of inflammation (redness, soreness, etc) suggests a sebaceous cyst--i.e., a glorified blackhead.  But that's only an educated guess, not a diagnosis.  From your description, it could not have been herpes, a genital wart, or any other STD.  Of course see a health care provider if you remain concerned or if a similar lesion reappears.

Good luck--- HHH, MD
Thank you so much Doctor for your information. What would of had to of happened for this lesion on the head of my penis to be considered Herpes to begin with? It is true I had no pain, it formed real fast and wasn't red colored at all and it had no fluid blisters that formed and it was only a single bump but when does this become suspect of being Herpes?
Herpes lesions always start as superficial blisters that rapidly become red and pus-filled, then open into sores, then get scabs, then heal, all over 10-14 days.  Then the skin is entirely normal for several weeks or months until another outbreak occurs.  There is no chance herpes explains your symptoms.
Not to nitpick but pus filled? Herpes lesions?  Wouldn't clear to yellowish fluid be a better description?

grace
Hi, Grace.

Clear to start, progressively cloudy, then usually the vesicle breaks.  But if it remains intact, the fluid progressively thickens and yellows, basically turns to pus.  You can see this most obviously with oral herpes, where the thicker skin remains intact longer than genital.  Probably you have had oral herpes patients who have lesions a few days old that look just a purulent as a staph or strep lesion.
Perhaps everyone I see just can't leave their hands off of them long before they ever reach that stage ;)

grace
A related discussion, Fleshy bump on tip of penis? was started.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.