STDs Forum

Molluscum Contagiousum

First off, Thanks for your time and help.

About Me:

27yo Male
No Allergies
Very active physically (swim 3-4 times a week as well as run 3-4 times a week)
Sexually Active (3 partnes already this month, unprotected sex)

A couple days ago I started to notice some bumps in my groin area directly above my penis. I left it alone for a couple days and finally went into the ER after work to get it checked up on. The doctor took a look at the bumps and said it most likely looks like Molluscum Contagiosum, although, he wanted me to go the local Health Department for further and precise testing. From what I've been reading up on about MC, I can see that there is quite a few different treatments ranging from scraping, freezing, ointments and so on.

What is the best treatment for getting rid of the bumps on my groin(directly above penis)?
How long would it take for removal?
What can I do about the constant itch?

I am very active physically, is this going to hinder the recovery because I'm always wearing tight spandex Under Armor and am in the pool 3-4 times a week?
Showering, what do I do about drying off infected area? should I keep a seperate towel just for infected area?

Thank-You

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question.

No research has directly compared the various treatment methods for molluscum contagiosum.  If there are only a few lesions, I personally favor physical removal -- currettage (scraping by a trained professional) pricking the top and expressing the core.  (Brisk bleeding afterward is evidence the entire core has been expressed and that healing can be expected.)  With larger numbers, freezing with liquid nitrogen is my second choice, and is often used in my STD clinic.  Although imiquimod (Aldara) works, it is slower than the other methods.

As for itching, I have no advice.  Normally MC doesn't itch -- so perhaps that's not the correct diagnosis, or something else also is going on.  Discuss this with the STD clinic whn you see them.  It might be wise to keep the area as dry as possible most of the time, especially after treatment.  Less tight clothing might be a good idea, and/or use talcum powder or cornstarch in your underwear.

Although transmission to other people by towels probably is rare, if it occurs at all, it makes sense for any person with any skin infection to not share towels, underwear, etc.  But I wouldn't go to the length of using a different towel for your genital area versus the rest of your body-- but perhaps it would be smart to dry the genital area last.  To be honest, I have never before thought about these issues with resepct to MC.

FYI, here is another thread that discusses MC in more detail, with emphasis on sexual versus other transmission risks:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/How-did-I-contract-this/show/1197466

I hope this has been helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.