STDs Forum

Molluscum

Hey Doc,

I have written you in the past when I first found out I had HPV. I recently went to the doctors when I noticed I had new growths that look clear sort of. I have dark skin, but the growths were like a light brown color sort of shiny. I had another growth on the back of the shaft which i had a tiny dent in the center so I thought it was a zit or something. It went away after 2 weeks or so. The ones on the top of the shaft however have been treated. I thought it was a HPV and the doctor said it was mollusum. I have them on my pubic regin underneath my stomach. He didn't give me a lot of information. I recently noticed them and my girl friend and I have been having sex and oral. I am concerned about getting the molluscum orally and it spreading to the rest of my body. I read about the silver pen, which was FDA approved. I am scared becasue mu partner now said that she has always been tested and didnt have anything. She works for a dermotologist. I dont know how to tell her.Is there anything I can do? How can you get rid of it orally? Is there anything out there that works??
Molluscum contagiosum is caused by a virus.  It is most common in young children, in whom it is transmitted by saliva shows up on the face, typically in kids in day care.  People who don't have childhood infections remain susceptible, and in adults most infections are in the genital area -- just as in your case, often on the lower abdomen, pubic area, thighs, etc.  Transmission is a little uncertain.  Most STD experts believe almost all cases are sexually acquired, and often an infected person's partner also has genital area lesions.  Others, including many dermatologists, believe that many (most?) infections are nonsexually acquired, perhaps especially in people who have regular contact with young children, such as parents of 1-4 year old kids, day care workers, etc.

MC is a trivial condition.  It is never serious, has no complications, and goes away without treatment.  However, resolution can be speeded up by treatment, usually by a dermatologist just scraping away the lesions (less painful than it sounds) or freezing them.  Imiquimod (Aldara), used for genital warts, also appears to be effective but it is slow.  If there are only a few lesions, they can be pricked with a needle then the hard core squeezed out, like pressing a pimple; if the entire core comes out and there is brisk bleeding, the lesions is cured although it takes another 1-2 weeks for the scab to heal and drop off.  New lesions may contintue to occur for a few weeks, but eventually they will stop.  I never heard of "silver pen" and cannot comment on that treatment.

Routine STD testing might easily miss MC, if your partner had it; or she might be infected but the bumps just haven't shown up yet.  She should examine herself for similar bumps.  If she sees any, or if she wants expert advice, she can discuss it with her dermatologist/employer or her own primary care provider.

Bottom line:  It's a minor condition and will clear up.  Don't let it bug you.  It's no big deal.  Follow your doctor's advice about it and I suggest you lay off "silver pen".  

Regards--  HHH, MD
The cure I was talking about were the silvercure or zymaderm. I really appreciate the information and  thank you.
I'm not familiar with silvercure or zymaderm either.  Don't use over-the-counter treatments without the advice of your doctor or clinic.
I googled silvercure and zymaderm.  Quack products.  Do not use them.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.