Aa
A
A
A
Close
STDs Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Oral HSV 2

If someone was performing oral sex on a person with genital HSV 2, would it be easy for that person to get Oral HSV - 2? How often would someone with Oral HSV - 2 shed the virus after an initial outbreak? Would this be quite rare for someone to pick up Oral HSV - 2 from kissing someone or lets say someone that has had oral HSV - 2 to transfer the virus to an infant or to another person?
4 Responses
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Given the frequency of oral sex among all sexually active persons, plus the high frequency of genital HSV-2 infection (25% of the US population), oral exposure to HSV-2 must be very common.  Nevertheless, oral herpes outbreaks due to HSV-2 are rare, and HSV-2 almost never is the cause of symptomatic oral cold sores.  It is not certain whether this is because the oral area is less susceptible than the genital area to HSV-2, or whether infection occurs but usually remains asymptomatic.  It
Can you get hsv2 from someone giving you oral sex?
According to the FAQ section , "there is no risk of acquiring genital HSV-2 infection from oral sex".  Although I also wonder if there is any recent studies of documented cases (given the fact that it is possible to get oral HSV-2)?
I know it ---i seen pictures on the web of oral hsv 2 the person claimed they got them from kissing?
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.