STDs Forum

Possible STD, Really Feaking Me Out

At the tail end of August I had sex with a female I've known for quite some time.  She's had four or five partners and has had unprotected sex.

I had sex with her twice, both times with a condom.

Approximately a week or two after we had sex I started getting very small red bumps around the my genital area.  Not on the penis itself, or on the scrotum, but on the side where a condom's protection would generally end.  They don't hurt, they don't ooze, nothing like that.

I usually shave my genital area and I assumed it was just shaver's rash or ingrown hairs, as I get them sometimes.  But after not touching my genitals for over a month with a razor they remain.

I have probably a dozen or so of them and I just recently shaved my genital area.  The little red bumps then became slightly razed and had a white center (almost looking like a pimple), so I decided to pick at one and see if I could pop it.  I couldn't pop it, but if I dug my fingernail into I could scratch the top off, and usually take the little white center off and then it would start to bleed immediately.  Not alot, but a continuous bleeding that lasts for a few minutes.

After the bleeding stops the little red bump heals, but it doesn't go away.

This is really freaking me out and this is my last step before seeing a doctor about it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You provide a wonderful description of molluscum contagiosum.  I could print out your question and use it to teach medical students.  I can't guarantee that's what you have, of course, but it sounds pretty good.  I suspect you will agree that the lesions are pinkish and somewhat shiny, and that some have a dimple in the center, especially if they have been there for a while.  MC lesions have a hard white core and tend to bleed briskly when the core is expressed or the lesion is scaped open.  There are no complications; it's a trivial infection with no important health consequences.

MC is most common as an infection of 2-5 year old children, typically of the face, acquired by saliva exchange via toys etc.  They become immune and don't catch it again, but people who don't happen to have it as kids remain susceptible--and then it can be transmitted by genital secretions.  The odds are pretty good that your recent partner also is infected--but some people probably are infected without visible lesions.  However, not all cases are sexually acquired; often the origin is mysterious.  But because of that possibility, your partner should be examined and you both should be tested for other common STDs, like chlamydia.

See a health care provider for confirmation of the diagnosis and recommendations for treatment.  Scraping the lesions away (less painful than it sounds), freezing, and sometimes a prescription for imiquimod (Aldara) are standard treatments.  If you have ready access to a dermatologist, you can be sure of expert care.  Or visit your local health department STD clinic.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thanks for the diagnosis doc, it's such a relief to know it's not an STD as I was thinking I had some really minor case of genital warts (which still freaks me the hell out!) to be honest.

And yeah, it pays to be thorough with the docs.  Learned that one from sick call in the Army and the clinic doctors they have there.  

Thanks for all of the help, and what a relief.  You have no idea how much anxiety just lifted off of me.
You're welcome.  But don't misunderstand:  MC probably is an STD in most cases in adults.  Sometimes it's called sexually transmissible, as opposed to transmitted, to reflect the uncertainty.  But you probably acquired it from your partner and she needs to be informed about your problem, just as if you had chlamydia or any other STD.

HHH, MD
Could MC come in a singular pimple near the base of the penis
Yes from personal experience you can get single lesions appear near the base of the penis.
After reading this thread I'm pretty sure I developed MC about three weeks ago. Any estimate on how long an outbreak can last, and will there be recurrent outbreaks?
Mine appeared about 7 months ago. Only 1 lesion on the groin. It then spread to the base and lower shaft of my penis over the next month. At its peak, I has about 10 lesions. Got them frozen (which is not worth it in my opinion because it takes about 3 months for the scars to fully clear, whereas if you extract it yourself, it heals fully in about a week). I now get the odd single lesion here and there and wait for it to mature then extract the core.

I think 2 years is the upper limit before it completely goes. I reckon the underlying MCV infection will go in the next few months as my immunity develops. I am nearly completely syptom free.

Recurrence is very rare, apart from in immuno-compromised patients such as those with AIDS or on chemotherapy.

I was told my my GUM clinician that I don't have to abstain from sex because nearly all adults are immune. The NHS UK website supports this view. However there is contradictory advice. What is certain is that it is a very trivial infection.

I, not even convinced that I aquired it from sex. Mine sprang up after shaving my pubic area and wiping it dry with an old moist towel (not recommended!). This could just be a triggering factor though.

I recommend asking yopur doctor to show you the self-removal method (cheapest and most effective IMO).

Best of luck.
thanks a bunch
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.