I have a few questions that I can't find answers to elsewhere.
1) The common wisdom seems to be that Listerine (or some other antiseptic mouthwash) before and after unprotected oral sex reduces the risk of STD transmission. I've also heard of using same on the genitals following genital contact. Is there any evidence for this? It seems plausible, though more for bacterial STDs than viral STDs. Would you recommend it?
2) You've said repeatedly that the risk of picking up STDs from a single act of unprotected oral sex is low, but not zero. I've read many reports (seemingly reliable) from people who have picked it up this way. Any idea of whether the risk of picking some STD (Chlamydia, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Herpes) from one such act is more like 1 in 1,000 or 1 in 100,000? I realize it depends on many factors, and there probably are no perfect studies, I'm just looking for general guidance based on your personal experience.
3) Suppose a person has some unexpired Cipro, which apparently works against many types of bacterial infections. After engaging in unprotected oral sex with several different high-risk partners (say, 10) in short period of time while on vacation, would it make sense to use the Cipro as a preventative measure? My guess would be "no, not unless you actually show symptoms". Everyone says you shouldn't abuse anti-biotics. On the other hand, STDs are no fun at all, I've heard.
4) I read on this board that most people already have non-genital HSV-1 (often from childhood), usually non-recurring with little or no asymptomatic shedding, making them virtually immune to contracting genital HSV-1. This seems to suggest that it would actually be a "good" thing to have the (mild) non-genital HSV-1, becaues it would prevent the much worse genital HSV-1 scenario. Would it be feasible to acquire it on purpose? Is there some danger I'm overlooking (I'm obviously no expert here).
5) If use of antibiotics can lead to antibiotic-resistent strains of the disease, can condom use lead to condom-resistent strains? (Just kidding!)