STDs Forum

Question regarding male HPV...

My main question is if there a method to ameliorate HPV lesions that have infected the urethra internally? The pain during urination is a bit much. I've searched all over for an answer to this question, and all I've come across are topical treatments for genital warts.

I haven't developed obvious warts, but I do show many small red lesions on the meatus, glans penis, shaft, and at the base along the pelvis. Generally, of the two home treatment options, Podofilox and Aldara, which is more effective for dealing with small lesions?

I've been using a mild 2% salicylic acid based astringent thus far as a temporary measure, as it's all I have on hand at the moment, and I am thankful this has apparently halted the proliferation of new lesions. I imagine more potent 17% salicylic acid based treatments for plantar warts would be too painful to apply on sensitive areas, such as the glans penis. However, could a higher concentration of salicylic acid be a treatment option for lesions appearing safely away from the glans penis, such as those located on the pelvis and shaft?

Thanks very much for your time.
When I read the opening sentence, I assumed you had a professional diagnosis of intra-urethral warts.  Apparently you have not.  Intraurethral warts generally are not painful, unless the predispose to another infection--a theoretical possibility but not common.  So if you have not had a professional diagnosis, I doubt you have warts at all.  The external lesions don't sound at all like it.  Intraurethral salicylic acid would be incredibly painful and potentially damaging.  If you're doing that, stop it immediately.  

Stop treating yourself with anything and see a health care provider.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I do know I have HPV. My girlfriend had a papsmear 2 weeks ago and revealed to me that she was carrying it, but on the advice of her doctor, we continued having sex without a care. Concurrent with the appearance of my symptoms 2 days ago, she reported white bumps on her outter labia and in her mouth. I should have mentioned in the question that I also have small, white, circular bumps on the glans penis and the presence of clear, watery discharge. You see, after adding it the evidence together, I became certain that I had contracted HPV, and that's why I didn't go into those details to save time.

It's possible I have bowenoid papulosis, often associated with the onset of HPV, which may account for simultaneous appearance of the unfamiliar lesions on the shaft and base. These lesions are mostly flat, small, red and painless.

Anyway, painful urination is my main concern presently. Can BP urethral lesions be responsible for the pain, and if so, how can that be treated? I don't believe I have urethritis, though I suppose I'd be better off with a bacterial infection that could be treated with an antibiotic. I suppose I'll take some Azithromycin just to be safe in the unlikely event it is urethritis.

I don't believe my question implied I was remotely contemplating pouring acid down my urethra! :o)

Unfortunately for me, if seeing a healthcare provider were a realistic or available option, I wouldn't have gladly paid the $15 for the privilege of posting here to humbly solicit your great wisdom.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
misgnomer
You may indeed have HPV; indeed you probably do, since your partner has it.  But HPV is not a likely cause for the symptoms you describe, and is especially unlikely to explain urethral discharge and painful urination.  Those symptoms are clear indications of urethritis, most likely nongonococcal urethritis (NGU).  Given the prominent pain and the presence of clear discharge, herpes is a reasonable possibility.

I will provide no further information that you might construe as advice about what treatment to use or not use.  Assuming you are not a health professional, it is irresponsible for you to presume to know your diagnosis without professional medical evaluation.  You not only are risking your own health, but, possibly lacking proper treatment, perhaps that of your partner--who, if indeed you have urethritis, should be examined professionally as well.  This site is not intended as a substitute for health care from a personal provider.  Your $15 was not a fee for personal medical care, but a donation to a nonprofit education and information service.

HHH, MD
Instead of buying hit or miss remedies that might not help, you'd do better to bite the bullet and see a doctor.  They'll bill you.  Pay when you can.  
(even if they say you have to pay in advance, show up without a checkbook.  Be nice, say Oops, I'm sorry.)

Or pay independently for insurance that you may need in the future.  Many carriers have self pay options that are surprisingly affordable.  Do a search and compare prices.
If health care cost is an issue for this problem, go to your nearest health department STD clinic for expert, low-cost (probably free) care.

HHH, MD
Lymph node inflammation in the groin indeed suggests herpes as a possibility, but not the only one.  I remain perplexed at your unwillingness to see professional care, but am glad your partner will do so.

This is my last comment on this thread.

HHH, MD
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.