STDs Forum

Question regaring Side Effects of Giving Oral Sex

Hello Doctor. I already asked this question on the free section. I am going to ask here to get a doctors answer.

I am a male who had Oral sex on a women (I was the giver) about 1 week ago (about 10 days ago). Last week after I gave oral the days following I was suffering from diarrhea, constipation, pain in my joints, hives, fever, vomiting. It's been 1 week now and I don't have those symptoms anymore. I am now suffering from stomach cramps and In my mouth there seems to have evolved a white line across my Gums on in the inner side of the cheeks. Also it seems I am not able to erect my penis as easily as I was before. I have just done full STD testing now. Blood and Urine exam. My test should come back in 3 days. I would like to know is there something I can take to stop this please? I have not done Oral sex before as this was my first time and it was unprotected. Also When I was scheduling for the STD Test, the person on the phone told me that noting will show up if you had sex within 2 weeks. I had Oral sex 1 week and couple of days ago. Does that mean my STD test will not show anything and I would have to retake another exam in 2-3 weeks?

Is there any medication I can take to stop the white lines from appearing in my mouth? Is this kind of thing curable? Please I would like to know as my family does not know about this and most likely throw me out of the house if they find out. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum.

Oral sex in general is low risk for STDs, and cunnilingus (oral-vaginal contact) is extremely low risk for the oral partner.  Your symptoms are not at all suggestive of any STD.  Some of them are consistent with a minor viral infection, and others (e.g. erectile dysfunction) suggest a psychological origin -- and it seems clear you are hyper-anxious about a sexual exposure you regret.

In any case, I am confident you have no STD from the oral sex event 10 days ago.  As for your STD tests, a urine test makes no sense -- if your penis/wasn't exposed, you can't have an STD that would show up there.

The person you spoke with on the phone is both right and wrong, depending on which STD tests you asked about.  Testing for gonorrhea or chlamydia, as on a urine test, is reliable within 2-3 days of exposure; it doesn't take 2 weeks for a reliable result.  However, blood tests (e.g., for HIV or syphilis) require 4-6 weeks.  But STD testing isn't needed anyway.

My advice is that you see your primary care doctor then follow his or her advice about testing and/or treatment of your symptoms.  Although you should mention the oral sex exposure, I'm confident s/he will agree you have no infection from that event.  You can be sure that your doctor will keep your sexual history confidential from your family.

I hope this has been helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Hello Dr. Handsfield.

I just got my results back it says the following:

Value         Range      Result            
Chlamydia ------------------------   Negative Negative Negative
Hepatitis B ---------------------------- Negative Negative Negative
Hepatitis C                          <0.1 0.0-0.9 Negative
Gonorrhea                            Negative Negative Negative
Herpes Simplex Virus Type I   <0.91 0.00-0.90 Negative
Herpes Simplex Virus Type II <0.91 0.00-0.90 Negative
HIV-1 Antibody                         <1.00 <1.00 Negative
HIV 1/O/2 Abs, Qual         Non Reactive Non Reactive Negative
Syphilis (RPR)                  Non Reactive Non Reactive Negative

I asked them If I can speak with a doctor over the phone they don't give consultation unless you are positive so I have to ask you instead. They told me that again that most STD's  won't show up until after 2 weeks like Herpes and I need to get tested again in 6 weeks from the encounter (Oral Sex). I'm going to take another Blood and Urine exam in a Month.

The problem is that I have cramps in the stomach and my mouth is dry. and My lips are dry and looks cracked. I told you about the white lines inside of the cheek gums. It's now faded away but I see the impressions (it isn't white but regular color like my gums). I also feel a little dazed from time to time for a short time. What can I take over the counter to relieve some of these symptoms from Walgreen or CVS?

Also can you go over the results with me taking into consideration that the encounter happened less than 2 weeks ago and if I need to take another exam. Thank you for your help.    
Skip a future urine test; those results (chlamydia, gonorrhea) are definitive and prove you weren't infected.  Additional testing would be a waste of money.

Viral hepatitis (B, C) and HSV-2 are rarely if ever transmitted by oral sex, and HSV-1 is rare without obvious symptoms of new herpes, which you don't have.  Repeating those tests also will be a waste of money.

So the only repeat tests to consider are HIV and syphilis.  For both of those, I recommend waiting until 6 weeks for definitive results.

Given your oral exposure, you might consider a throat swab test for gonorrhea.  The odds are low -- but as I said above, a urine test can't show an infection of the oral cavity.  For such a test, you'll probably have to visit a doctor or clinic; most online testing services don't offer it.

On this forum, we don't try to guess the causes or advise on treatment of symptoms other than STDs and HIV, which you clearly do not have.  See your doctor if your symptoms continue or you otherwise remain concerned.

That will end this thread.  Do your best to move on without worry.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.