STDs Forum

Questions Re: STD

Dr's-

So here are my questions:

11 weeks ago, I made a horrendous mistake of going to a massage parlor with a few of my friends on the evening of a bachelor party. I received 10 seconds of unprotected insertive oral sex. I immediately stopped the girl as I had never intended on partaking in oral sex. It's also worthy of mention that I am married and am seeking advice to ensure I protect her (a thought that should have entered my mind prior to entering this place) With that said, I did have unprotected sex with my wife roughly 5 days later as I didn't really understand the risks STD's associated with insertive oral sex until I did some research on the net.

8 Days after this six second episode, I had a full panel STD test, to include the Ghonorrea / Chlam PCR exam All negative. I have seen that this test must be taken without urinating one hour prior to exam. Since this was so long ago, I am unsure if my results are reliable as i do not remember how long it was since I last urinated.

Over the next few weeks I did have some burning right at the tip of my penis, but absolutely no pain during urination and no discharge whatsoever. About 4 weeks later, I had a sore throat, and my doctor prescribed me cipro, twice a day for about a week.

My wife has not had any symptoms, however I had been abstaining from sex out of fear of passing something along to her. I went back and had a full STD checkup 9 weeks after this brief encounter, and was negative for Chlam, Syph, Gonn, HIV etc.  Upon receipt of the results, my wife and i resumed unprotected sex, and this morning she woke up with some remnants of blood in her underwear (very little) but some. I read that ghonorrea can cause bleeding in between periods, so now I am back to being very concerned. How rational is it to think that I passed an STD to my wife and the first test was a false negative because of "potentially" urinating too soon before the test? Or that the nine week test was irrelevant due to the cipro?

Welcome to the forum.  Bottom line:  There was little or no STD risk. You overreacted and it is time to move on without fear.

Oral sex is safe sex, for the most part; not totally free of STD risk, but a lot lower chance of infection than by vaginal or anal sex.  And given the brevity of your exposure, I would consider the risk zero.  Had I been in your situation, with my knowledge of the science and epidemiology, I would not have been tested and would not have stopped having unprotected sex with my wife.

In any case, the STD tests you had are highly reliable, especially since you were tested twice; you have had no suspicious symptoms to speak of; and the ciprofloxacin treatment (which you didn't need -- my guess is you talked your doctor into it because of your anxiety about all this) would have eradicated gonorrhea and probably chlamydia if you had them.  Combined with the virtually zero risk of infection in the first place, for sure you have no STD and your wife's symptoms are entirely unrelated to your brief sexual indiscretion.  You can definitely stop worrying about it and move on.

I hope this helps.  Good luck-- HHH, MD
Dr Handsfield,

Thank you for your response. You could not have been more clear in your response and I appreciate your use of words it absolutely helped. I made the mistake of reading many of the other posts, and subsequently took an 11 week negative rapid HIV test, which came back negative. Is there any chance this test will change between week 11 and week 12 to be conclusive? I felt great about your post and the 11 week negative and then saw that others on the community forum say 12 weeks is the only way to get a conclusive result. Is an 11 week negative considered conclusive? Based on my 9 week rapid and now an 11 week rapid is there any chance a test done at 12 weeks would change? Do I even need the 12 week test? You were very clear about the std's exclusive of HIV and I want to ask this last question and hopefully move on like you requested...
HIV antibody tests are conclusive after 6-8 weeks; and the combination antibody/p24 antigen test is conclusive at 4 weeks.  Your 11 week result is definitive and will not change.  There is no need for a 12 week test.  

This is an area of disagreement between this forum and the community forum, where some of the moderators are behind the times in HIV test interpretation.  Here is a thread that goes into this in more detail.  Read the entire discussion; the key information is in a follow-up comment:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/-A-Question-on-Testing/show/1347755

That will be all for this thread.  Please move on without worry.
Doctor H,

My hope is you will not mind me asking another question, unrelated to HIV on this thread - I can post a second question and pay, but this at least gives cleaner access to my previous post:

Do you know the test window for Hep B? I had it along with the 12 week hiv test, and just wondered if this test was also conclusive.....I know Hep B is remote, just want to cross that box off as well if at all possible. The test was the done by labcorp on what I am told is the latest test Hep B Surface Antigen test.

I tried to find this on the Hep B forum, but that forum is very inactive and the Hep C forum pointed me to Hep B and or STD forum....

Irrelevant; receiving oral sex is no risk for hep B.

No further discussion or this thread will be deleted.  And please don't start a new thread; the answer would be the same.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.