STDs Forum

RASHES

I RECENTLY HAD UNPROTECTED SEX WITH A WOMAN A HARDLY KNEW (1 TIME). I KNOW; REALLY STUPID!! ONLY 2-3DAYS LATER, I EXPERIENCED FATIGUE AND SEEMINGLY COULDN'T GET ENOUGH SLEEP. THIS LASTED FOR ABOUT 5 DAYS & THEN, 4-5DAYS AFTER THAT I WAS USING THE TOILET AND NOTICED A DEEP RED RASH IN MY GROIN AREA (LYMPH NODES?), AND THEN STARTED OBSERVING THE REST OF MY BODY. I NOTICED LITTLE RED PIN POINT (MEASLE LOOKING DOTS ON MY LOWER LEGS (CALVES & CHINS) AS WELL AS MY FOREARMS. THE RASH IN MY GROIN AREA WENT AWAY IN 2-3DAYS, BUT THE MEASLE LIKE DOTS HAVE REMAINED AFTER 5DAYS? MY PALMS(HANDS)ALSO ITCH. MY WORST FEAR IS THAT I HAVE CONTRACTED THE HIV VIRUS. ARE THESE SYMPTOMS CONSISTENT WITH CONTRACTING ACUTE HIV? IT SEEMS OBVIOUS, BUT I AM ALSO ALLERGIC TO PEANUTS AND HAVE BEEN EATING PEANUT BUTTER QUITE A BIT AS OF LATE. COULD THESE SYMPTOMS BE AN ALLERGIC REACTION INSTEAD OF MY WORST FEARS?

IF I AM HIV POSITIVE; WHAT IS THE AVG LIFE SPAN OF AN HIV+ PERSON AFTER CONTRACTING THE DISEASE?
Your symptoms don't sound like any STD.  You clearly have a generalized skin rash; as someone else commented before me (shown below), it sounds like it could be an allergic reaction to something--and from your description, peanuts sound like a good bet.  But lots of other, non-allergic conditions are possible.  Most likely this isn't HIV, and the risk of catching HIV from any single episode of vaginal sex, even if the partner is infected, is very low.  On the other hand, a measles-like rash can sometimes be a sign of primary HIV infection.  But the chance this explains your rash remains very low.  Have you asked your partner whether she has HIV?  That would be a logical immediate step.

Untreated, the average survival with HIV/AIDS is around 10 years, although some people succumb within a year and others go 20 or more years.  With modern treatment in industrialized, most people can live 10-20 or more years.

See a health care provider.

Regards--  HHH, MD
First off stop jumping to conclusons!!!!! :)  Take a deep breath a call you doctor so they can dignose you. Yes a rash is a big allergic reaction but go to see your doc.
I deleted your new thread; the comment was more appropriate here.  You wrote:

I APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE DOCTOR, BUT CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHAT THE BIG DEEP RED RASHES WERE IN MY GROIN AREA? I KNOW THESE ARE WHERE LYMPH NODES ARE? AM I CORRECT? WELL, COULD THIS HAPPEN WHEN THE LYMPH NODES ARE OVERWORKING TO PRODUCE BACTERIA FIGHTING BLOOD CELLS? OR AM I OVER ASSESSING THE SITUATION? COULD THERE BE ANY OTHER REASON FOR THESE RASHES WHICH LASTED FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS AND WENT AWAY?

THE REP PIN POINT DOTS HAVE SEEMINGLY GONE, BUT MY SKIN STILL APPEARS TO NOW HAVE MICRO-BUMPS THAT ARE STILL VISIBLE ON MY ARMS & LEGS--IT HAS NOW BEEN 16 DAYS SINCE MY CONTACT WITH THIS WOMEN. PLEASE ELABORATE.

As suggested above, this question is more appropriate here, not as a new thread.  You could have saved $10.00.

I do not know and will not speculate on the cause of the rash in your groin; no online doc makes a specific diagnosis. It doesn't sound like any STD, and it cerrtainly isn't a lymph node problem, it's a skin problem. Your inguinal lymph nodes probably are right where the rash is, but lymph node inflammation doesn't cause the a "deep red rash" in the groin. Could there be "any other reason" [than HIV, I presume you mean] for your rashes? Yes, probably a hundred of them, all more common than HIV. If the rash is painful, i.e. tender to the touch, or if you have fever, it could be a sign of a dangerous bacterial infection (not HIV, not STD)--in that case you need to be examined immediately.

Do not ask for any more information from me. The ONLY way to deal with this is to see a health care provider.

HHH, MD

HHH, MD
I know you said that you wouldn't answer any more questions from me, and I don't understand why. I thought I was short and to the point without a bunch of beating around the bush.

Anyway, it has now been 24 days since my encounter with this woman. I jumped the gun and got tested 12 days after my encounter. (test was negative.), but I know now that I didn't allow enough time. I am going to drive myself crazy as I am determined to wait 13weeks even though I know you say 6 weeks is normally sufficient.

Anyway, as I have read numerous sites on the net relating to rash, most of them say that rashes generally show up on the trunk area of the body. This should put me at ease, since my rash was on the legs and arms, and lasted about 3 days, but now bumps that resemble heat bumps(real tiny and colorless) remain on legs and arms. Do you think I should be concerned? I am really agonizing over this and will probably be committed before the 13 week period has come (Nov. 12)
ok after having sex i had this bad strep throat. and time to time i my penis itching and have bumps on it that are every small.i also have a rash on my arm chest and thigh. sometimes it looks it sperrm is coming out. when i squeeze my shaft of my penis it hurts do i have a std or what
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.