STDs Forum

Really worried and need advice

Dear Dr

On the 15th November 2006, i had sex with a prostitute in amsterdam.  A condom was used through out and the encounter lasted 15mins.  I returned home and thought nothing of it.  A few days later i started to become paranoid that i had caught an STD so began looking on the internet.  Since then i've shown the following symptoms, a fews days after the encounter i woke up one night sweating, thought nothing of it and went back to sleep.  I've also felt a bit light headed at times.  The next symptom is that i havent managed to eat for the past 7 days, and now when i try, i'm sick.  I havent stopped worrying or thinking about this for over a week.  And today when i woke up my throat feels like its got a lump in it and my tongue has red lumps right at the back.  I've also noticed my urine has been dark and strong smelling, could that be due to not eating?  Do you believe i may be over reacting, or do i have a serious issue? Your advise will be much appreiated.

regards

Paranoid
You had totally safe sex and could not have acquired an STD.  You do not describe a single symptom that is typical of any known STD, including HIV.  You have psyched yourself out and indeed you are overreacting in a major way.

My advise is to settle down and forget it, with the expectation that your symptoms will fade.  If you cannot put it out of your mind, see a health care provider for advice about referral to a mental health professional. Or skip the middle man and seek such care yourself.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thanks for you response doctor.  The lumps on my tongue are still there, and i'm certain the lumps must follow down my throat because i can feel them everytime i swallow.  I do have a rash on my back which is like dermatitus, i've had this rash before, so you think its just a coincidence?  Also the biggest doubt in my head is, what if the condom split?? or got a hole in it?? I did go the Gum clinic last week, expect results on monday.  If i get a HIV test on the 4 week mark, and its negative can i safely say i'm HIV negative?

regards

P.

P.S Sorry for troubling you again,
Your username relfects your dominant health problem.  All I can do is repeat I already said: "You do not describe a single symptom that is typical of any known STD, including HIV" and "see a health care provider for advice about referral to a mental health professional".  You can read innumerable threads on "time to positive HIV test" about the reliability of the HIV test that you didn't need.

Please no prolonged discussion here.  I won't have any further responses.

HHH, MD

Mate, it is on your head. I have been through an almost identical experience (right down to the Amsterdam bit).

Your urine is dark because you are not drinking enough water.

The back of the throat and tongue contains lumps that are normal. They are part of the lymphatic system and can swell during a throat infection or, in my case, wisdom tooth problems.

If you were in Amsterdam, my bet is you have a sore throat from a visit to the Grasshopper cafe ;o).

Even if the condom split, the chances of catching anything are very, very slim.

Go to the GUM clinic for reassurance.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the comment englishman, the lumps appeared after i'd been sick one night, and the air in the bedroom was cold so had a dry throat all night, i'm hopin this is the reason for the lumps i stil have (2 days now).  I'm managin to eat now after the comments from the doctor.  The main thing that got me worried was the fact i woke up sweating one night, (my hair and pillow wet), this happened after a week from the sexual experience. Which when you read about ARS is about the right time frame. From that i've had everything from lumpy throat, vomitting and headache.  I did go to the GUM clinic and the doc said everything looked normal, he did a swob and expect results next week.  I also did a HIV test, i'm aware this is to early to detect HIV from my amsterdam trip.  

Just a quick question for the doctor, do all the symptoms happen at once, i.e. within a few days? Because mine have occured over a 10day period.

regards P.
I would bet my penis in the hands of a lunatic with a pair of scissors that you do not have HIV.

The doc often quotes the statistic that from a single episode of sex with a KNOWN HIV infected partner the chance of transmission is 1 in 2000.

The chances are so unbeleivably remote that you have HIV, you are better off avoiding any dubious looking cloud for fear of getting a bolt of lightening in the ***.

Best of luck (even though you do not need it!)
You may not continue your irrational, anxiety-driven need for ventilation on this forum.  If you want to continue such a discussion, take it to the HIV Support Forum.  I will delete any further comments here, by anybody.

HHH, MD
Dear doctor,

I'd just like to post that i've had a test at the 4week mark, i had the Antibody and P24 Antigen test, they both came back non-dected, i'm over the moon, i'm taking this as that i'm negative and i'm going to move on.

I'm sorry for the anxiety driven posts, but you was a great help.  I've lost over a stone in weight over this 4 week period, the worry drives you mad.

Do you agree with my comment that i dont need any further testing? Your answer will be much appreciate, because it can be put behind me if you say i dont require testing.

regards and thank you

P.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.