STDs Forum

Recurring burning urination and clear discharge

About two and a half months ago I had unprotected vaginal. Two weeks later I started noticing a slight burning sensation while urinating and small amounts of clear discharge. About a week or so after that I went to clinic and got tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea. As a precaution they prescribed me doxycyline for a week (100mg twice a day I believe?). I finished that course and the symptoms remained. I called back and found out I actually tested negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea. The symptoms continued, so I went to another clinic and got tested again. This time I tested negative for chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, and HIV. Once again the symptoms did not go away, so I went back to the original clinic and told them my situation. They then prescribed a one time dose of metronidazole. It's been two weeks since I took that dose and I still experience symptoms. The discharge will only occur in the morning, and the burning sensation has always been slight. The symptoms in general have not gotten any better or worse since I first noticed them. I am a healthy 23 year old male with no history of STDs. Is this an STD or is it something else? What are possible causes for this? Is there any reason that this would naturally occur? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll try to help.  It sounds from your description as though your symptoms were those of non-gonococcal urethritis (NGU), the most common male STI.  While chlamydia can cause NGU, most is not and the precise cause is often unclear.  The therapy you received, doxycycline is a recommended therapy which is highly effective.  On those occasions when dozy does not work it is recommended that the person be re-treated using a combination of a single 1 gram dose of azithromycin plus 2 grams of metronidazole so the retreat,ENT you received was almost that which was recommended.   There are several things to do from here.

First, you should establish if you do have urethritis or not.  I suspect the clinic where you were seen can do this.  If urethritis is (still) present then I would start with re-treatment as described above.  If not, then I suggest you look for other, non-STI causes.  I suspect the clinic you were initially seen at can guide you in this.  The place to start however is with getting tested for urethritis.  The best specimen for this is a urethral swab specimen although a urine specimen collected just as you begin to void can be used as well.  In either case, it is best if you have not urinated for at least an hour before the specimen is collected.

I hope these comments are helpful.  EWH
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.