STDs Forum

STD Exposure

Back in mid June (June 17) I received unprotected oral from an escort. Several days later I started getting lower back pain. 1st week of July the lower back pain got bad and at nights the pain was really really bad. My PCP then gave me a muscle relaxant along with anti-inflammatory meds. After several more days of dealing with the pain I went to the ER and they discovered blood in my urine and believed I might have already passed a kidney stone. .  I have done another CT Scan since and they do not see any kidney stones in my urinary system. It has been over 6 weeks at this point and I feel discomfort and pressure in my lower back and near my abdomen. I am wondering if the blood in the urine (did another test) and all my symptoms could be related to an std. My Doctor also gave me Cipro in case I have a UTI but they did a dip test with urine and found nothing pointing to UTI.
Sorry to hear of your back pain.  Back pain can certainly disrupt all of one's day-to-day activities.  The scenario your describe, along with your negative tests indicate that this is not an STD-related problem.  While STDs can rarely cause back pain (very rarely) this is a more chronic problem which follows chlamydial infections.  Nothing in your history suggests this is the case.

I suspect that the occurrence of your back pain and your CSW exposure are coincidence and nothing more.  EWH
I don't think I have a UTI but should I take the dose of antibiotics (Cipro)? Also would I have had any symptoms with Chlamydia, Ghono, or herpes If I would have been infected from oral? I have read that if you get herpes you have it for life but your body's immune system eventually gets rid of chlamydia and ghono - is that correct?
I would not recommend antibiotics for unproven infection or anxiety.

If you have an STD, it is most likely that it would be symptomatic but any STD can also be asymptomatic.

Once a person has HV, they typically have it for life.  Some chlamydial and some gonococcal infections do cure themselves but it is not recommended for a person to try to "wait things out". Too much risk of complication or tranmission to others.

From the tone of your follow-up question, I beleive I have addressed your question.  Please no more general questions which can be answered with quick searches.  eWH
Does receiving unprotected oral carry a risk for hep a/b/c? I am confused about it... I read yes in some forums and no in others.........Depression and anxiety out of control today because of my stupid decision..... My relationship will essentially be over.......
No.  While there may be a theoretical concnern of getting hepatitis B from receipt of oral sex, in reality is is not seen enough to even be a realistic consideration.  EWH
What is the likelihood of getting Syphilis from a one time insertive oral exposure? The reason I ask is I had an RPR test done and was +ve.... Waiting for the confirmation test now.... I have not had ANY other exposures besides this one.... I cant even recall the last time I had unprotected vaginal intercourse......
Syphilis is a rare diseare and most exposures to sex partners who have syphilis do not lead to infection.  Furthermore, syphilis is spread only through direct contact with syphilitic lesions.  If your partner did not have an oral lesion, your risk of syphilis from the contact you describe is quite low.  If you have questions following receipt of your confirmatory test, let me know (and provide more detail - what was the titer of the postive test result, what tests were run, etc).  Until then, I would be on this result being a false positve.  EWH
Still waiting for confirmation results on the syph. Also waiting for Gono and Chlamydia results. I went to a hospital and explained the situation. They went ahead and gave me a Penicillin shot, along with another shot and 8 pills/2grams( zithromax I think not sure if that was the pills or the injection). The nurse said that with that treatment I could expect to  be covered pretty much for everything. On another note, I leveled with my partner about the whole situation. I owed her honesty at the minimum. I'd rather deal with those ramifications  than exposing her to something. Given that we haven't had any form of intercourse (vaginal, oral) for 5-6 months, can I assume she hasn't been infected with anything? Would you concur with the opinion of the nurse on the therapy I have received?
Thanks for your feedback and providing advice during this tough time!
It sounds as though the docotors who saw you would rather treat you than worry about whether there really is an infection present or not. Sounds like you want it that way too.  With any luck you won't have a medication reaction and the treatment, which I suspect was not needed, will give you peace of mind.  The therapy you have received sounds as though it would cover all major treatable STDs, including syphilis.  I predict that your tests will all be negative.

Congratualtions on telling your partner. AS difficult as I'm sure it was, it was the right thing to do.  I also concur that since you have not had sex with your parnter for 5-6 months, she is not at risk, had you contracted an STD during your encounter in June.  She therefore would not need treatment.  

It really is time for this threat to end. I have little more to offer you.  No frther questions please.  EWH
Could any STD I would have acquired reap havoc and cause my kidney stone (which I already passed), the lingering lower back pain, and abdominal pain that will not go away? My urologist took a urine sample and is testing for other possible causes of blood in my urine. From reading several posts, it is my understanding that blood in urine is not a symptom for ANY STD... Is that correct? This will be my last question until I get my PP confirmatory results and other std results.... Thank you Doctor H!
You are correct.  STDs do not typically interact with kidney stones.  Take care.  EWH
Got my Gonho and Chlamydia results - Both -ve. Syphilis test confirmation still pending.  So far HIV -ve, Hepb/c -ve, and now Gonho and Chlamydia -ve. The only one i am waiting for as I said is the Syphilis confirmation test. The titer of the test that was +ve was 1:1. The nurse said given my exposure I should receive a -ve result, but of course we have to wait for confirmation. Also given I was treated for it (and as you said probably not even needed), my lower back, abdominal pain and side are most likely do to something that happened when I past the stone. I will let you know what the results of the confirmation test are.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.