STD Risk performing cunnilingus

Dr.
thank you in advance for your valued opinion.  I'm in a commited long term relationship, but recently strayed with a female escort.  The only sexual activity we engaged in was my performing oral on her.  I know that this is a low risk activity, and you have answered many question on the matter but I was hoping for some feedback relating to a couple of nuances in my situation.

1.  as a part of my post event guilt I'm researching and studying the net to see what type of risk I really put myself in.  as a part of this research when i finally got comfortable that this was a low risk activity and i have no issues, i perfromed a self exam of my mouth.   Im pretty sure this has been there for quite a while know, but i do have what appears to damage to my tongue.  looks like long term tooth scrape on the side of my tongue.   My gf looked and said it appears like it was cut at some point a while ago, and it was damaged.  there is no blood, there is no pain, and i dont have any discomfort eating or drinking any fluids including alcholol, acidic juices, etc.    Does this sound like something to be concerned about enhancing my std acquistion risks, an if so is it still highly unlikely i was exposed?  

2.  prior to my escort experience i was tested clean for a suite of std's, but was tested positive for hsv-1.   I honestly though that prior to visiting with the escort, that performing oral on her provided no risk other than herpes, and my hsv-1 exposure made me immune to hsv-2 acquisition.

I am freaking out and the more I read the more conflicting information i get and would appreciate your feedback, which I'm hoping will help me sleep tonight.

Best,
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You are correct that your are at low risk for STD from performing oral sex on your escort partner.  Odds are that your partner did not have an STD and if she did, oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea is acquired through performing oral sex; chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.   Gonorrhea of the throat is rare but, if it occurred, it would probably be asymptomatic.   Even if your partner had an STD (any STD and it is likely she did not), most exposures do not lead to infection.  In your case, I would urge you not to worry. Any cut of defect that you have on your tongue would not change your risk for infection.  If you must for the sake of your peace of mind, you could go to your local STD clinic or health care provider to be tested at this time.  I [predict the tests will be negative.

HSV-1 would reduce but not totally prevent you from getting HSV.  Oral HSV-2 however is very rare.  If you do not develop oral lesions suggestive of herpes within 4-10 days of yoru exposure, you have nothing to worry about in terms of oral HSV-2.

Bottom line, you have little to worry about.  Do not loose sleep over this.

Hope this helps.  EWH
Helpful - 1
Your tongue issues are not herpes.

Typically oral herpes shows up as cold sores on the lips arond the border withthe facial skin.  the can be somewhat uncomfortable.  You may want to search the net for pictures of "cold sores" to see what I am speaking of.  Nothing you describe suggests oral HSV. eWH
Helpful - 0
You are correct about what I said regarding your tongue issues.

Zero risk - there is nothing that is zero risk.  You could get struck by lightening while reading this.  That said, your risk is close to zero.  I see no need for testing.  EWh
Helpful - 0
I promise to not be one of those endless follow up questions, but once again as I'm trying to follow your advice im getting confused.  
your comment:
"If you do not develop oral lesions suggestive of herpes within 4-10 days of yoru exposure, you have nothing to worry about in terms of oral HSV-2."    
This time period is lapsing today and im just not sure what oral lesions suggestive of herpes really entails.  In other words, the tongue issues i describe above appear to be a historic bite and/or irritation from rubbing against tooth, etc.  However, there is slight redness compared to the rest of my tongue, but there is no pain, no mutliple blisters, etc so I'm unsure of the redness being suggestive of a herpes lesion.   If i had a lesion suggestive of herpes as you say... I'm assuming I would know it, pain, clusters, raised blisters on my tongue etc?
thanks again, and apologies for the recurring posts, this will be it
Helpful - 0
thanks for the reasuring feedback, so without puting words in your mouth... is it safe to say my tongue issues dont change my risks and that im still in the next to zero risk category, including hiv exposure?
again, thank you
Helpful - 0
thanks so much dr, you guys are the best... this service is an invaluable resource.  I wish you well!
Helpful - 0
Dr.,
apologies for coming back with a follow up but am bothered my a recent circumstance... your advice to let 4-10 pass then move on was helpful.   its been almost 6 weeks now and am noticing  small pimple(not red) on my lip and freaking out.. thoughts on hsv-2 initial breakout?
Helpful - 0
This will be your last answer.  The timing is all wrong.  This is not herpes from the exposure you are concerned about.  End of discussion.  EWH
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.