STDs Forum

So Scared of HIV

Hi Dr. HHH.  I had a high risk encounter about 9 1/2 weeks ago, sex with a prostitute in Las Vegas.  I did use a condom, but during intercourse it came off 2 times but i used a new one each time it came off, and I was left unprotected for a total of about 1-2 minutes.  Since then I've been having some muscle pain and headaches, but no fever or swollen glands.  I've also had negative ELISA tests at 28, and 42 days, and I'm now waiting on the results from my 2 months test.  Also, I had a whole bunch of tests for STDs at 28 days which also came back negative.  My questions to you sir are,

1) Would my STD tests be conclusive at 28 days?

2) Should the 2 months test come back negative, can i put this to rest, or even consider myself in the clear after the negative 42 days test?

3) Could it be possible that I have just not produced enough detectable antibodies yet?  I am a fairly healthy person, but I'm a smoker.

Thank you for your time Doctor.
As you surmise from looking at all my responses to very similar questions, your risk of HIV was miniscule from the expsoure you describe.  To answer your questions:  1) Yes, your non-HIV STD tests at 4 weeks and your negative HIV ELISA test at 42 days are reliable.  2) You don't need an HIV test at 2 months; if you want still further reassurance, be tesed a last time at 3 months.  3) No.

You're not at risk and you're not infected.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I just wanted to add that I'm from Canada, so I'm also wondering if the testing here would be different from that used in the US.
No, Canadian tests and procedures are not significantly different than in the US or other industrialized countries.

HHH, MD
Just to update Dr. HHH

My 61 day ELISA came back negative.  Can I now be 100% sure that my 3 months test will be the same?
Just to update Dr. HHH

My 61 day ELISA came back negative. Can I now be 100% sure that my 3 months test will be the same?
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.