STDs Forum

Sufficient Treatment

Hello Drs,

I stupidly had unprotected sex last thursday night.  I asked the girl if she was clean and she said she was.  The next day the ultra cautious side of me kicked in and i saw a doctor on saturday who gave me 1g of Azithromycin and 100mg Doxycycline (twice a day for seven days).   As i was travelling that day and i saw the Dr in my hotel room he was unable to do any tests - i think he gave them to me to allay my fears more than anything.  

I know it it unlikely icontracted anything, but if i did would these two drugs be sufficient to cure anything i could have caught (e.g. chlamydia, Gonorrrhea etc etc?

Have had no symptoms at all.

Thanks very much
Welcome to the STD forum.

Azithromycin and doxycycline provide 100% effective protection against chlamydia, syphilis, and probalby nonchlamydial NGU.  They provide nearly 100% protection against gonorrhea; only rare strains are resistant, and it would be even rarer for gonorrhea to be resistant to both those drugs.  So you were adequately protected against all the bacterial STDs.  They provide no protection against viral STDs, like herpes, HPV, HIV, and hepatitis.  But the risks of these are too low to lose any sleep about.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.