STDs Forum

TESTING

I HAD A UNPROTECTED VAGINAL INTERCOURSE WITH A SEX WORKER IN AMERICA ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO. SHORTLY THEREAFTER, I DEVELOPED A RASH ON MY INNER FOREARM WHICH WENT AWAY IN A DAY OR 2. I THEN STARTED FREAKING OUT AND WENT THROUGH WHAT I THOUGHT TO BE ARS SYMPTOMS FOR HIV INFECTION. I HAD NIGHT SWEATS THAT LASTED ABOUT 4 NIGHTS (BUT NO FEVER), DIAREAH FOR A DAY, AND NAUSEA. MY PALMS STARTED TO ITCH AND THEN ABOUT A WEEK LATER THE SKIN ON MY PALMS & FEET STARTED TO PEEL, THEN I REALLY STARTED FREAKING. ALL OF THIS TOOK PLACE WITHIN A MONTH AFTER HAVING SEX WITH THIS WOMAN.

I FINALLY GOT THE COURAGE TO GET TESTED FOR HIV - EXACTLY 5 WEEKS AFTER THE CONTACT, BUT WAS WITH THE HOME ACCESS TESTING KIT. CAME BACK NEGATIVE

SO MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1.) HOW ACCURATE IS THIS TEST AFTER 5 WEEKS?

2.) DOES ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS SOUND LIKE ARS TO YOU? AND IF NOT, CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE PEELING OF THE HANDS AND FEET?

3.) AFTER MY 5 WEEK TEST, I FELT FINE FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS, BUT RECENTLY IN THE LAST 7 DAYS, MY STOMACH IS NOW FEELING QUEESY. WOULD THIS BE NORMAL OF PRIMARY HIV INFECTION?

4.)AND LASTLY; HOW CAN YOU TELL IF YOUR LYMPH NODES ARE SWOLLEN? AND IF YOU ARE HIV INFECTED, IS IT A GIMMY THAT THEY WILL SWELL TO BE NOTICEABLE ENOUGH TO RECOGNIZE?

My responses will be brief because the virtually identical questions have been asked and responded to many, many times.  Search the STD forum threads for "HIV symptoms", "Time to positive HIV test", "ARS symptoms", and "HIV transmission risk".

Your risk of getting HIV from the exposure you describe was very low.  Your symptoms do not sound like ARS.

1) The test is at least 90% accurate after 5 weeks.
2) No, they don't sound like ARS.  I make no effort to explain non-STD symptoms; you need to see a health care provoder.
3) No.
4) People should not attempt to figure out if their own lymph glands are swollen.  Anywa, most swollen lymph nodes aren't due to HIV.  If you're still concerned about HIV, totally disregard any and all symptoms you may have and have another HIV test for extra reassurance.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
I'M SORRY DR., MY MAIN FOCUS WAS HIV INFECTION.

DID ANY OF WHAT I DESCRIBED SOUND REMOTELY LIKE ANY OTHER STD? AND IF SO WHICH ONE(S)?
No, you describe no symptoms of any STD.  Whatever symptoms you are having are purely coincidental, with no relationship to the sexual exposure you describe.

HHH, MD
LAST QUESTIONS DOCTOR; PLEASE FORGIVE ME, JUST TRYING TO PUT MY ANXIETY AT REST.

FROM WHAT I HAVE READ, SEROCONVERSION IS THE SICKNESS THAT OCCURS WHEN THE BODY IS CONVERTING FROM BEING HIV- TO HIV+

1. IS THAT CORRECT?

2. AND IF SO, IS IT ALSO TRUE THAT AN HIV ANTIBODY TEST WOULD SHOW UP POSITIVE AFTER THIS SEROCONVERSION?

3. HOW LONG AFTER SEROCONVERSION WOULD IT TAKE FOR THE BODY TO TEST POSITIVE IF IN FACT INFECTED WITH HIV?

THE REASON I AM ASKING IS BECAUSE THE SYMPTOMS THAT I DESCRIBED SUBSIDED AT THE 3 TO 3 1/2 WEEK MARK AFTER MY CONTACT WITH THIS WOMAN, SO A 5 WEEK HIV TEST SHOULD BE PRETTY ACCURATE? WOULD YOU AGREE?
I PROMISE, LAST QUESTION.

I MIS-PHRASED MY QUESTION ABOUT HOW ACCURATE THE HOME ACCESS TEST WAS. THE TEST ITSELF CLAIMS TO ME 99.6 PERCENT ACCURATE.

MY QUESTION IS: AT 5 WEEKS, WHAT PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE WILL TEST POSITIVE IF IN FACT HIV INFECTED?

THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE WITH ME

Seroconversion is just  the transition of a test from negative to positive and has nothing to do with symptoms.  Among the minority of persons who have symptoms with their initial HIV infection, serconversion typically occurs 7-14 days after onset , i.e. 2-3 weeks after exposure.

I already said that your 5-week test is accurate.  Almost all HIV infected people are positive by 5 weeks, probably 98-99%.  Given the virtual certainty you did not acquire HIV from the exposure you describe, you can be 100% confident you aren't infected.

If you remain uncertain or have further questions, please search the forum for "HIV anxiety" or "time to positive HIV test" for further discussions.

HHH, MD
I AM SORRY DOCTOR, BUT I JUST CAN'T CONTROL MY ANXIETY.

AS I TOLD YOU, I HAVE BEEN FEELING QUEASY(STOMACH) & NOT HAVING A DESIRE TO EAT FOR ABOUT A WEEK NOW.

I READ SOMEWHERE ON THE NET THAT THIS COULD HAPPEN IF THERE WAS A HIGH VIRAL LOAD WHICH WOULD OCCUR AFTER INITIAL INFECTION. WOULD YOU SUSPECT THAT THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME EVEN AFTER A 5 WEEK NEGATIVE TEST?

IS THIS TRUE? ESPECIALLY SINCE IT HAS BEEN 2 MONTHS SINCE MY EXPOSURE THAT IS IN QUESTION.

WHAT IS VIRAL LOAD? CAN YOU EXPLAIN THIS TO ME?

DO YOU THINK I NEED ANOTHER TEST SINCE THE 5 WEEK CAME BACK NEGATIVE?
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.