Terrified! Used Amoxicillin!

Hello Dr.,

I am a male. I had an exposure risk with another male, of unknown std status and hiv status. He said he was std free and hiv negative, but I did not know him.We performed mutual oral on each other for maybe 5 minutes or so. No ejaculation in the mouth. I did not notice and sores or lesions on his penis or his mouth, but I cannot be positive. Before this encounter, I was tested and both STD free and HIV negative.

A couple of days after the occurance my friend (in medical school) gave me 3 Amoxicillin pills of 500mg. I took two one day and then another day took one. At about a week after exposure,, my friend gave me more of the same Amoxicillin 500mg pills. I took them every 8 hours until I ran out. I had 7 pills.

I am really worried about Stds. What was my risk from the exposure? Also, did the Amoxicilin do anything if I indeed had acquired an STD from that exposure? Am I at risk of HIV?

Please help me. I don’t know what do.!
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

This was essentially a zero risk exposure for HIV.  Most people don't lie when asked directly about HIV status; and even if your partner was infected, oral sex very rarely transmits HIV -- many experts consider it entirely risk free, especially for the penile partner.  For a detailed discussion about oral sex and HIV, see the thread linked below.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/insertive-v-receptive-oral/show/1922236

The risk of some STDs is a bit higher -- low for all (e.g., gonorrhea, syphilis) and virtually zero for others (e.g., chlamydia).

Your med student friend has some learning to do about STDs.  I wouldn't have recommended any antibiotic treatment at all; and amoxicillin is a poor choice for STD prevention.

What to do now?  The risk of any STD was sufficiently low that I really don't recommend anything, assuming you don't develop symptoms like penile blsiters or open sores, or discharge of pus or mucus from your penis.  However, if you want additional reassurance, you could see a doctor or clinic (e.g. your local health department STD clinic) for an genital area examination and testing for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and HIV.  (There is no point in syphilis testing -- that's the one STD that would have been well prevented by amoxicillin, so no point in testing.)

I hope this has helped. Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you for replying.

I took the Amoxicilkn in a panic, but I've read that it could possibly cure gonnerhea and chlymadia at my dosage, is that true? Also if at two weeks out I have no symptoms, does that mean I have none of those two STDs?

And since you say amoxicilin did cure my possible syphillis, if I had it, then do I need testing for herpes or HIV? How easy is herpes to get given my encounter?

Thank you for these additional answers. I will not ask anymore of you after this.
"...possibly cure gonnerhea and chlymadia at my dosage, is that true?"  Yes, with emphasis on "possibly".

Absence of symptoms at 2 weeks would be a good sign, but this has been screwed up by the amoxicillin -- which might suppress sympotms of gonorrhea or chlamydia without curing it.  However, chlamydia is virtuallly never transmitted by oral sex, so it's not really a consideration anyway.

Herpes is very unlikely after such an encounter -- as a guess, well under 1 chance in several thousand.

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.