Testing

After coming to this forum I came to know that there many peoples out there facing problems similar to me. My story starts two years back. I'm an expat worker in UAE I had protected sex (I was high on booze but remember using a condom) with a paid sexual worker here on March 2005. Then I developed some fungal infection in my ears a few months later and then all my worries started ever since. I consulted a virologist and had my HIV antibody test (3 months after the incident). It came out negative. But I was not satisfied. Loaded with informations from internet I was not satisfied with that result and had one rapid test (5months) that too came negative. I was totally depressed searching for possible signs for indication of HIV. Approached doctor after 9 months and he told my problem is more mental but to cool off my mind he advised me to take a test in another lab with a separate enzyme and he told testing with different enzymes are as good as a western blot. It came negative(9 months). Again in 2006 I had to undergo testing as a part of changing Job which the UAE govt. prescribes HIV testing is mandatory. Negative. (12 months)(Results were never informed). If it was positive I would have deported. Then a change in job in 2007 and a medical check up same situation. (24 months).

But my doubt still remains as I have developed some urinary tract infection and after treatment the problem is still there.

My doubt is.

1) How much relevant is this mass testing ? (in case of my medical check ups by govt. during job process. They may have thousands of blood samples per day. Are there any chances of skipping some samples)
2) What about the enzyme thing which my doctor advised. Is that correct?
3) Do I have to look for another type of tests or believe what I've had before and put my mind on rest.

Please advise Doctor.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My penis have a burning sensation after urination and I have  severe back pain too. I can feel the same burning sensation along the veins going down though the legs. Is this  a radiating pain due to back ache. Please advise.
Helpful - 1
Thank you very much for your advise doctor. I'm a very relieved person now. Please keep up the good work.
Helpful - 0
This is not a significant amount of bacteria in your urine culture.  You have nothing to worry about - I agree with your doctor.   EWH
Helpful - 0

Thank you very much for your advise

I've had a culture & sensitivity of urine and the results are  as follows. The doctor told me not to worry but he didnt specify any disease though. Hope you could shed some light.
Gram Stain: Gram negative Bacilli seen
Culture report: Scanty growth of Proteus species and the colony count <10,000cfu/ml after 36 hours
Biochemical Identification (I will put the positive things)
L-Ornitine, Trisodium citrate, L-tryptophane, Gelatine (bovine origin), D-glucose,

And in the sensitivity report it is resistant to Tetracycline.

Helpful - 0
I will answer your question because the second part of it has to do with STD symptoms.  As for the HIV question, that should have been posted on the HIV Prevention Forum.

HIV first.  You say you've reviewed other posts on this site and know that others have concerns similar to yours.  Having looked, you'll also know that after at least five separate HIV tests there is simply no way that your have HIV infection and to worry further about it is both pointless and a bit silly.  No further testing of any kind is warranted.  All commercially available HIV tests are quite reliable.  If you cannot shake your lingering concerns, I would urge you not to seek further testing but to seek the assistance of a mental health professional who can help you to work through your unwarranted fears.  

Burning after urination.  This could be a sign of an infection like gonorrhea, chlamydia or NGU.  The tests for this can be performed on a urine specimen or on a voided urine.  The tests should include tests specifically for gonorrhea, for chlamydia and for white blood cells (the results of the latter test should be available very soon after you are seen).  If any of these tests are positive, a health care provider can provide you with the proper antibiotic therapy.  If they are negative, you have nothing to worry about there either.  For your back pain to be related to an STD would be unlikely although if indeed you do have a urinary tract infection, this could be related.  EWH
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.