STDs Forum

Ureaplasma Urealyticum (UU) Information

My partner of ten years has been diagnosed with Ureaplasma Urealyticum (UU).  Here are my questions:  1) Though UU is sexually transmitted, is it really a STD if it is "a part of the normal genital flora of both men and women"?  2) Once a person is infected, if undiagnosed and not treated, how long can the bacterium survive in the body..2 yrs, 5 yrs, 10 yrs. or a lifetime?  3)  How effective is treatment for a person with long-term exposure?  4)  How long does the treatment of antibiotics last for someone with long-term exposure...weeks, months?  5)  Should I be tested for UU?    

The role of Ureaplasma as an STD has be the subject of debate and research more over 30 years and remains unresolved.  It is clear that it is common for the human genital tract to become colonized with ureaplasma soon after beginning to have sex, assuming the role of normal genital flora.  Once colonized, the colonization can persist lifelong. Some have suggested that it is occasionally a cause of some STD syndromes but most specialists in the field would not treat a positive ureaplasma culture in the absence of other signs or symptoms of infection.  If signs or symptoms however are present, treatment is typically directed at the signs and symptoms, not the Ureaplasma.  In most studies if has proven difficult to impossible to eradicate it with antibiotic therapy.  

If your GF has other signs and symptoms of infection she may  be being treated for them, rather than the Ureaplasma.

I would not be tested for ureaplasma if I were you since I would not know what to suggest you do about it if and when your culture comes back positive.

Hope these comments help.  EWH
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.