STDs Forum

White discharge, no white cells

Hello Dr. I have a question regarding symptoms that I am experiencing. My sexual practices have not changed. I ONLY involve on recipient unprotected oral sex (that is as far I allow my self to go) I always receive oral sex. I dont perform to people i dont know. Also I always ask people about their HIV status, and all claimed to be negative. I do not Have anal sex regardless. But now for 2 weeks i've been experiencing discomfort on the tip of my penis after i Urinate. It started off as random, but now its happening more throughout the day. Drinking water seems to help it at times. But it does not go away. Today, after 2 weeks, I went to a clinic here in SF, and they took a sample of my urine, where they looked for white cells. He said that he that no white cells were present in my urine. So I was not treated for STDs, however my urine was sent to be tested for gonorrhea and Chlamydia. Today I also noticed, a little white discharge when going to urinate. This happend a few hours after they told me there were no white cells present in my urine. Im experiencing STD like symptoms and no white cells in my urine, How could this be?? I am also experiencing back pain, diarrhea, cold symptoms, tiredness, and muscle aches. I am not anxius because If i do have an std it came from receiving unprotected oral sex, and I was told at the clinic that my risk for HIV is near to non-existent. But I would also like to get your thoughts about this. Thank you.
Welcome to our site.  I hope that my comments will be helpful to you in sorting this out.  I congratulate you on the thoughtful approach your are taking to this problem, as well as the steps you have already taken to address them.  Although receipt of oral sex is virtually no risk for HIV and low risk for other STDs, sometimes folks can get NGU or other symptomatic problems through this means.  Several thoughts occur to me.

First, I want to be sure that your specimen was taken properly.  The best specimens for diagnosis of an STD are the initial portion of a urine specimen of a swab taken after a person has not urinated for an hour or more.  While it does not occur often, tests can be falsely negative if the proper specimen is not taken. In addition, even with optimal specimens, sometimes there are false negative results.  If your symptoms are continuing (and based on your history, I presume they are), a second test might be in order.

Secondly, there are a number of non-infectious causes of both penile discomfort and even secretion or discharge from the penis.  For instance, kidney stones can cause the sort of discomfort you describe.  A doctor would start to diagnose this by looking for small amounts (microscopic) of blood in the urine.  Alternatively, the glands of the genital tract (prostate, etc) can produce secretions which can mimic infectious discharge from time to time- they typically go un-noticed unless one is looking for them.

Finally, sometimes after an exposure that, in retrospect, one wishes they had not had, persons tend to examine themselves and be far more attuned to genital sensations than in periods when they are not concerned.  This in turns leads to noticing what turn out to be normal sensations that might have been not noticed or ignored at other times.  Perhaps this was a contributor to your situation although I would explore the first two possibilities first.

Hope these suggestions are helpful to you.  EWH.  
Also, I am experiencing more discharge and discomfort.
Hello Dr. and thank you for your response. However today i woke up to notice that I have a lot more white discharge, and my penis burns when urinating really bad, it has increased over night. A urine sample was taken yesterday after they had looked for white cells for the infection. What can I do?? I need to take something for the pain and discharge, it wont let me sleep.
Please re-read my answer- I would get it checked again.  I outlined the details in my answer.  EWH
Yes, I just got back from my doctor and I was treated for STD's just in case. I will know in a few days if i did had anything. Thanks.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.