STDs Forum

Worried of Herpes and HPV

Dear HHH, M.D.,

First of all, thanks for this wondering site.

I had an unprotected sex with a lady (she is a sexual worker in a night club) in 4 1/2 months ago.  I get tested for all STDs except those ones cannot be tested (Herpes and HPV).  Now, I have a few questions regarding about this encounter:

1. How big is the chance of getting Herpes, and/or HPV from this encounter?

2. I had a whole week of stomach discomfort and 1 day of fever (at the first day of the week of the stomach discomfort) 2 days after that encounter, but it all happened right after I had a dinner of raw seafood (e.g. oysters).  Does this sound like a symptom of Herpes or just coincidence?

3. I also had broken skin around my penis 2 weeks after that encounter, it didn't hurt and it healed by itself in around 4 days.  Does it sound like Herpes?

4. I also notice there are few small bumps raised (around 0.5 mm) on the right side NEAR the tip of the penis (the exact locaiton is around 1 cm from the hole where urine comes out) 1 month after that encounter, but I am not sure if those bumps are there before.  Note that these bumps only become noticable when I stretch my skin.  I have been in a dermatologist, and he prescribed me a Aldara, he told me that he doesn't know what that is, but if they are still there after two weeks of application of Aldara, then most likely they are not warts. I have applied the cream for 2 weeks, and they are still there after.  Doe this sound like warts to you?

5. When can I consider myself as clean of Herpes or HPV?

Sorry for this long post & thx for help!
First off, tests are available for herpes, but not HPV.  4 1/2 months is plenty of time for the herpes blood test to become positive, so ask your dermatologist or another provider to test you for it.  (See numerous other threads on this forum about the right kind of herpes blood test.)

1) Impossible to predict a precise risk, since there is no way to know whether the person is infected, has active infection, etc.  The chance probably is low from a single encounter, but noone can say more.

2) No, that doesn't sound at all like herpes or any other STD.

3) Conceivably yes, but no way to know without seeing the lesion.  But that event makes it all the more important that you have the herpes blood test.

4) I can't say anything here.  I try to never compete with the opinon of a provider who has actually examined someone.  Using the response to Aldara as a diagnostic test (in medical lingo, a "therapeutic trial") probably is valid - i.e., if the bumps persist unchanged, they probably aren't warts.  But in that case, return to your dermatolgist for his further thoughts.

5) When your HSV-2 blood test is negative and your dermatologist confirms that the penile bumps aren't warts.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
BTW, those bumps are skin-colored.
Thanks Dr.

BTW, should I trust the herpes test result if I am luckily enough to get a negative result.

Again, thanks a lots!
Yes, a negative test result will be reliable.

HHH, MD
Hi Doctor,

I still have one more question.  I heard that warts sometimes will take years to develope, is this true?  If so, that means I can never ensure if I have HPV or not even my dermatologist examines my current bumps are not warts?

Also, what's the usual probation period for warts? how long should I wait until so I can say I am pretty much clean of HPV?

Thanks!
Hey anyhelp, the doctor has answered those question many times, just scroll down and you will see all sorts of information pertaining to your question that I think might be helpful.
Thanks.  I have searched through the site, but I couldn't found an answer for the following, could the doctor answer this?  Sorry if this has been addressed before.

how long should I wait until so I can say I am pretty much clean of HPV?

Thanks Again!

Thanks Again!

I just read a couple of posts where he said that if your warts have disappeared for 6 months, you can pretty much assume that you have cleared the virus.  Maybe three to four months, but six months to play it safe.
Thanks Daisyjoy!  Sorry, I could find this message in my search.

By the way, the message mentions that I can consider myself as clean of the virus after 6 months without symptoms.  What if I do not have symptoms at all since the day of the encounter, do I also consider that if I do not have symptoms in 6 months after that encounter, then I am free of the virus?

Sorry for posting so many questions and thanks for your help!
OK here is the actual quote, taken from "HPV QUESTIONS"

What we know for sure is that the most sensitive tests available, genetic tests for HPV DNA, usually become negative after 6-12 months; and that people in whom they become negative then are resistant to catching the same HPV type. These facts suggest, but do not prove, that the immune system has eradicated the virus. However, it is possible that HPV DNA remains in small amount, ready to start up a newly active infection somewhere down the line. That almost certainly happens, e.g. when someone gets immune deficiency in the future, like HIV infection or cancer chemotherapy. It probably occurs in immunologically normal people too, but uncommonly.

So my practical take-home message is that after several months with no wart recurrence normal pap, the person can consider him/herself cured; this is practically true if not always biologically true. Such persons probably transmit HIV to future partners rarely, if ever. Accordingly, I do not consider it ethically mandatory, or even recommended, that every person who ever has had HIV must henceforth and forever tell future partners they once were infected.

So to answer your specific messages:

1) If you have a regular partner before the warts appeared, you don't need to stop having sex at all, except to avoid irritation if the wart areas are sore from treatment; s/he is already exposed and likely infected, too late to make any difference. (Some experts would say stop having sex until the warts clear up, then resume.) For a new partner, you probably can start having sex as soon as the warts clear up. That soon, you SHOULD tell your partner, because there is still some chance of transmission. If s/he is aware of the low risk of an adverse outcome and feels OK with proceeding, don't let HPV stand in your way. If it has been longer than 6 months, I don't think you need say anything. Some people would endorse 3 months, 4 months, or a year; the science doesn't allow any more precision than this. I say 6 months.

2) After a few months, the chance you will transmit HPV is very low, probably close to zero.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.