STDs Forum

Yeast Infection or Herpes

Jan 18th, 2014 @ 2:30am I had unprotected sex and oral sex with a female. I woke up that day at around noon and had an annoying feeling on the tip of my penis. I started putting Neosporian on it. 2 or 3 days had passed and I noticed some redness around the rim of my penis and the annoying feeling did not get better or worse. 5 days later I got a sore throat and my lymph nodes in my neck were a bit swollen but NO FEVER. So at this point all my research points me towards yeast infection. 2 weeks later I noticed lumps on the back of my tongue & it was coated w/ some whiteness. It could have been there the whole time but this is when I noticed. I think I have a yeast infection on my penis and in my mouth. I immediately begin a Candida Diet along w/ taking some anti-fungal supplements AND also dabbing tea tree oil on my penis. So a week or so (3 or 4 weeks after the unprotected sex) after I started the diet I get the sore throat and swollen lymph nodes back which from my research suggested "Die Off"? My Penis at this point is tiny bit better but there is however still some redness on the rim.

March 1st. I still appear to have this "problem" so I started using Monistat 7. 3 days after using the Monistat it got worse so I stopped using it. March 8th (50 days later) I noticed what appeared to be a small red bump/blister/sore & it's also right below where the main redness is (1/4 inch below). The bump/blister/sore or whatever it is not painful but still has me worried.

I have questions BUT You should know 2 things first:
1. I was on antibiotics during the unprotected sex
2. I have asthma. (I read that asthma inhalers can cause oral thrush)

Questions:
1. Could this bump be herpes?
2. Since this whole thing started less then a day later is its still possible that herpes took 50 days to form a blister?
3. Does being on antibiotics make you more susceptible to yeast infections during sex?

AND if there is any other information you would like to add please do!
Welcome to the Forum. I am not sure what the irritation that you experienced within a day of sex was but I am confident it was not an STI, nor a yeast infection.  It takes more than two days and typically 3-7 days for symptoms of STIs to develop following acquisition.  Further if I follow your post correctly, the irritation you experienced has persisted since that time.  Is there visible evidence of irritation or infection at this time? If so, it might help to have a dermatologist take a look.  In addition, I would suggest that you stop applying Neosporin, tea tree oil and other substances to the area of irritation- each of these can be irritating on their own and can make diagnosis more difficult.  Besides what you have and are trying does not sound as though it is working.  .  

I also suspect that the white coating you have noted on your tongue is not related to the exposure you describe as well.  Similarly, swollen lymph nodes, particularly in the throat or inguinal regions as you describe are non-specific finding with many possible causes. In fact, many people have lymph nodes that can be felt in the absence of infection or inflammation.  

In answer to your specific questions:
1. Could this bump be herpes?
No, this is not HSV acquired through the exposure you describe.  HSV symptoms do not occur so quickly and are self-limited.  Even the symptoms of first episode HSV infections resolve within about three weeks of the onset of lesions.

No, it would be unusual for an initial episode of HSV to occur 50 days after exposure.  

3. Does being on antibiotics make you more susceptible to yeast infections during sex.
Yes, antibiotics do increase risk for yeast infections.  So do the steroid inhalers that you take for your asthma. Even so, most people taking antibiotics or on steroids do not get yeast infections.

My advice is that this has lingered on long enough and it is time for you to see a doctor who can examine both your throat and your penis to help sort out what is going on.  I doubt that it is HSV and may not be a yeast infection either.

I hope these comments are helpful to you.  EWH
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.