STDs Forum

autoinnoculation? :-(

I have a long term history of genital herpes.(16 years) However, being mostly dormant for several years I was not (until recently) on any sort of supressive meds. Recently my partner preformed oral sex on me and developed an infection in his mouth that appears to be hsv. (he went to a doctor but was not tested--doc said not to worry it would eventually clear) In turn, he has kissed me and I now have a new infection in the back of my throat--the mouth/throat problem has been ongoing for both of us since october. My own doc examined me and that is also inconclusive tho I have requested an HSV test--he did not feel the need.  --but I am still very frustrated about the new and ongoing oral situation.
I'm taking valtrex now (partner is not taking anything) but still have not been able to shake the oral infection that is inside of my throat/and inside of my mouth that has been present since Oct.

I'm very confused about the whole situation--I was upfront about him with my hsv status, and he figured that the most risk he stood was to develop a cold sore on his lip as we are very cautious to use condoms. -My own thought was that even if he did develop a cold sore, I would be immune from any further new infections and at worst case scenerio also end up with a cold sore. Instead it's been several weeks now with no relief in sight.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated--especially in regards of what to expect and how to improve the situation----right now I am mostly concerned that we will both continue to have an ongoing infection inside of our mouths and throat. We both have recurrent blisters inside of our lips.

My own symptoms are also very strong in the throat area-swelling of lymph and earaches/throat pain and a blister or two on my throat. (he has no throat symptoms or ear symptoms that he has spoke of)--it does ALMOST go away but then cycles around again before it's gone completely.
Thanks for ur insight
Once a person has infection with either HSV type, it is rare for that person to become reinfected with the same type, either through auto-inoculation (e.g., transmission of genital infection to the mouth or eye) or by exposure to a person with the same virus type.  On that basis alone, it is unlikely that your throat symptoms are due to HSV-2.  When herpes infects the throat, it generally does not cause visible blisters, only open sores; and most apparently "blisters" inside the throat are actually just edema (swelling) of the mucous membrane or perhaps lymphoid follicles just under the surface.  The cycle of symptoms you describe does not suggest herpes; just as with your recurrent genital herpes, herpes would cause symptoms for a few days at a time, followed by much longer periods with no symptoms whatsoever.  Finally, although first-episode herpes of the mouth and throat often causes sore throat or sores inside the mouth, recurrent oral herpes almost always is external, on the lips etc.

So both the overall sequence and your symptoms make herpes a very long shot and I very much doubt that's what's going on.  I share your implied criticism of your doctor for not doing culture tests for HSV.  But the odds are it didn't actually miss anything.  Anyway, if your symptoms persist, see your health care provider (or find another one, if you lack confidence in the previous guy).  But herpes isn't going to be the explanation.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.