STDs Forum

chlamydia question

Okay, so let's assume that I am one of those very rare persons that acquires a chlamydia infection of the throat.  

If that were to occur, what would be the symptoms?  In addition, could this type of infection cause any long term problems?    

Would such an infection clear up on its own?  And finally, could a partner be infected?

Many thanks!
If you caught Chlamydia trachomatis infection in the throat, the infection would most likely be asymptomatic.  There is no known consequence to chlamydial infection of the throat and if it occurred, it would almost certainly resolve even if untreated.  The cells which chlamydia infections occur on, columnar epithelial cells are absent from the throat.  thus, once again, even if you were one of those rare persons, there would be nothing to be concerned about.  EWH
Thanks Doctor - I wish that the "informational" STD websites on the internet would provide the type of information that you just gave me.  

If you read them, you'd think that such a throat infection is common and dangerous.
Hi Dr. Hook,

I apologize for jumping in the middle of your conversation.

If you caught Gonorrhea of the throat, what are the symptoms? will the infection clear up on its own? Does treatment required?
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.