STDs Forum

depo

hello my name is brandy and i have been on depo provera for like 2 years and i am wanting to know can you still get pregant on the shot? and if you can, will it harm the child you are carrying?
This is an STD forum and I'm not an expert in contraception.  But I think most any doctor can tell you no, you can't get pregnant on depo-provera.  That's the whole idea, isn't it?

HHH, MD
Hmmmm....
Your puzzlement suggests maybe you think you are pregnant.  I should add that no contraceptive is 100% effective, so getting pregnant isn't totally impossible.  If is more likely if you missed a depo dose, and maybe if you were toward the end of a treatment period, i.e. another dose was about due.  But as I said, I am not an expert in this area, nor in whether it might harm the baby.

If in doubt, go to a health care provider.

Good luck--   HHH, MD
i was on the shot for 2 years as well and have been off of it for 5 months now. i had all the pregnancy symptoms you can think of but never a + preg test. yes it is possible to get preg wile on the shot but not very common. It can take anwyere form when you just get off to 1 1/2 years to get preg. if you happen to get preg wile on the shot it can cause pregnancy problmes but so can anything else. they recremend you to have the shot out of your sysmtem before trying to get preg. but it doesnt mean you will have probmes just depends. hope this hleps
christie
christie
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.