STDs Forum

hiv risk of infection

Hi there.  I had unprotected vaginal sex with a friend of mine which lasted about 10 minutes.  It was a stupid thing to do but I was very drunk and she insisted that she was on the pill and didn't have any STDs.  We only had sex once.

About 3-4 weeks later I had pain upon urination but no discharge or anything.  The pain was severe sometimes and non-existent other times.  I went to the doctor and she prescribed me 4 pills of anti-biotics and tested for chlamydia and non-specific cultues.  Both came up negative.  The pain still came back now and then so I went to see her again.  She said not to bother to test for gonorrhea but just to take a weeks worth of anti-biotics for "non-specific urethritis".  

This whole episode freaked me out and got me thinking about what else I could have contracted!  I'm prone to anxiety and have been obsessing over the idea that I might have contracted HIV.  

I ordered 4 home tests that test for antibodies in the blood.  ***** your finger and wait ten minutes kinda deal.  1 line your negative, 2 your positive.  I did one at exactly 4 weeks (28 days) after the possible exposure and it came back negative.  I did one today at exactly 5 weeks (35 days) and it came back negative.  I plan on using the other ones in a few weeks.

These tests bring me a little comfort but I'm still freaking out.  I'm in my last semester of university and I should be concentrating on school but I can't help thinking about this all the time.

I've had no other symptoms.  I did have a rash on my thigh  and bum after going to a tanning salon for the first time about 5 days ago.  But I assume this is because I bombarded areas of my body that never see the light of day with harsh UV radiation.  The rash came about a few hours after the tanning experience and lasted about a day.  I may also be photo-sensitive as I am on SSRI's.  I've had no fever, sore throat or swollen lymph nodes as far as I can tell.

This girl is a long time friend from high school but I don't really know her sexual history and this is why I'm worried.

What is the risk in my case?  I'm tottaly freaked out here and definately learnt my lesson.  What do you think about my case?  Should I be this worried?

Thanks for your help.

Low risk exposure even if she had HIV.  (But if she is a friend, for God's sake ask her!)  Even if she is infected, you clearly didn't catch it, based on your blood test results.  (Most infected people have positive results at 5 weeks.)  Finally, symptoms never are a reliable indicator for or against HIV infection, and in any case your symptoms don't suggest HIV.

Finally, as I have said innumerable times on this forum, when a persons suspects his or her own symptoms are due to anxiety, s/he probably is almost always right.

Bottom line:  Mellow out, relax, stop worrying about it.  And pick up the phone and discuss it with your partner.

HHH, MD
HEY MEN.. DON'T WORRY.. I'VE BEING IN THE SAME STEPS AS YOU ARE RIGHT NOW.. I KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO HAVE A GREAT GUILT INSIDE OF YOU AND YOUR HEAD IS KILLING YOU.. BUT THATS JUST YOUR MIND.. NOTHING ELSE..I RECEIVE ORAL SEX FROM 4 SEX WORKERS, WITHOUT PROTECTION.. I DIDN'T FELT ANY SYMPTOMS.. BUT ON DEC 12 OF 2005 I HAD A BURNING SENSATION ON THE HEAD OF MY PENIS.. I WENT TO GET TESTED.. FOR SYPHILLIS, GONORHEA, AND CHLAMYDIA, WHICH ALL CAME BACK NEGATIVE..AND AGAIN, I THOUGHT ABOUT THE WORST.. BECAUSE THEY TOLL ME TO GO AND A SEE A UROLOGIST.. SO I WENT I SAW THE UROLOGIST HE PRESCRIBE ME SOME ANTIOBIOTICS, BUT HE RECOMMEND ME TO GO AND GET TESTED FOR HIV..THAT GOT ME MORE SCARED.. SO I COULDN'T SLEEP A LOT..JUST TO THINKING ABOUT IT.. SO DURING THAT TIME, I THOUGHT I HAD EVERYSYMPTOM OF HIV.. WHICH I DID NOT.. THAT WAS ALL IN MY MIND.. SO I DECIDED TO AND GET THE TEST DONE.. I DID.. AND IT CAME BACK NEAGATIVE.. THAT WAS A BIG RELIEF.. BUT DON'T WORRY.. GO AND HAVE A TEST DONE JUST FOR THE PEACE OF MIND, IT HELPS..
I posted about the same risk a few weeks ago. I hope my words bring you some comfort. I did not know much about HIV or its transmission until I began reading about it on the internet. Obviously the more I read the more fearful I became about my past partners and risky behavior. If I read that the symptoms were fever, I started getting a fever; rash, I would start getting a rash. You would be amazed what your mind can do to your body. The fear of this disease ran my life.

I have taken enought tests to turn my face blue - my last being beyond 3 months, all neg. I have taken the advice of the Dr. H  and have sought help with a mental professional. I likelyhood that I was even exposed to HIV was unlikely however, anxiety is a wicked thing that will ruin your life if you let it. Trust me, there is still a part of me that continues you think I am infected due to the "symptoms".

I am sure all your tests will come back negative just as mine did ( I'll send you my good Karma). In the meantime, stop thinking about HIV and do some reseach on what anxiety can do to you mentally and physically. DOC. H THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!!
The bottom line is that except in special circumstances, HIV is hard to transmit.  Simple contact of the virus with skin surface or even the inside of the vagina, urethra, rectum, or mouth rarely is sufficient to transmit infection.

HHH, MD
Ok I've been wondering about this, and I hope someone can offer some insight. Say your last possible exposure was 2 years ago, and CBC(complete blood count) and ESR tests came back normal. Is this a good indication that you're fine or the results simply don't say anything? I understand an HIV antibodies test is the only way to find out, but can't the normal results be used as a good sign that you're fine? Just wondering.
I agree...you feel like a new person after the results. All of life's dreams that were previously dashed away in your mind return full force. It was weird how my life was so affected by this, but like the other poster said, I don't want to have sex until I am in a long term relationship, even protected sex, as crazy as that sounds. It really is not worth the toll that anxiety takes on you if you make a mistake. It really is amazing how this anxiety can make you feel, but trust me, you are not alone.

Odds are you will be fine.
Are you in the U.S.? Where did you get those tests you ordered from? I thought the only home use tests you could get in the U.S. are Home Access which you have to send off for results?
A while back they were saying some of these rapid home tests could not be trusted. I don't know if this is still true of not.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/282/4/317-a

I really wish that an instant home test would be approved such as Oraquick. That would be really nice.

For your situation, I doubt a long time friend would have knowingly exposed you to HIV. Call and talk to her but try to be cool about it. If you freak her out she may get pissed off and not say anything.

I have read the risk for unprotected sex with a woman is around 1 in a thousand. But this may vary higher or lower depending on the amount of virus present in her body and if there are any other factors to influence HIV transmission during the time of sex (gental sores from other STD's, menstrual blood). A test at 5 weeks is a good indication you are negative.

My personal advice would be NOT to spend hours of time researching HIV on the internet as I have done. It will drive you absolutely crazy and you will find a wide variety of risk assessments and testing recommendations on different websites.  Everytime I read about a symptom I end up with it. I have found that if you poke at your lymph nodes long enough they will swell up regardless if you have HIV or not. It just gets to be ridiculous after a while.
Hey man...I know what you are going through. Don't let this thing eat you up inside. I had unprotected sex in late October with a girl who I believe has had many sex partners. I was drunk, and about 4 minutes after I realized how foolish of an act I was commiting and immediately pulled out. Almost immediately after pulling out, I felt the tingling sensation at the end of my penis, which was definetely due to anxiety. I have always been afraid of HIV and I think it is because I grew up 80's and 90's and that was the era where all the confusion and misconceptions about HIV/AIDS were at its peak. Of course as an impressionable child, those memories stick with you.

It was on my mind every single day and I didn't do too well in school. I felt almost like if I had HIV, it wasn't worth doing well anyway, because I would not be able to live a full life (which is not true). That was the ONLY unprotected sex in my life. I went to the Doctor and got tested for ALL STDs (except for HSV I and II) and everything came back negative, including HIV. I went last week for another HIV test, which was the 11th week after initial exposure, and just found out Thurs that I was negative. I feel much better, and when you get your negative result after 6-8 weeks, so will you. The biggest mistake I made was researching HIV on the net, because the symptoms are the same as many other more common ailments out there.

I was recently also diagnosed with having allergies. My mother and father both have them, and mine just came out, I'm sure due to the stress of this situation! Don't let this stop you. You will be okay. Like Dr. H says all the time, the chance is VERY low since it was just one time, and it was heterosexual sex, even if she was infected, which she probably wasn't. This site really helped me get through this. Check out all the previous forums related to HIV.

Good luck.
Hey dont stress it man, I stressed it for 4 months and its all I could think about. Odds are you dont have it, and like the poster above said dont search on google for symptoms,lol. I was certain I had it after I had thursh for a while. Im not going to have sex ever again until I get a girlfriend, no more one night stands. Its just not worth it, even though the odds are you wont get it from a one night stand, its still not something I want to risk. Go get tested and ease your mind, if I didnt gather up the balls to get tested that one day I would have never had the balls to do it ever again. It was the scariest moment of my life by far, but man I cant tell you how good it felt to see my negative results, I felt like a new person. Sadly that high has worn off a little now, but I still know how lucky I am to not have it and that makes me feel good every day. So if I was you I would get tested.
I forgot to mention above that Geodesic Meditech is a US company.  I think they're based in California.
Ooops, sorry.  For english just remove the word "german".

http://hiv-test-yourself.com/contact.html
Thanks for your input doctor.  I feel a lot more at ease now.  Thanks for everyone else's comments too.  They provided some insight.

Someone asked about the home tests.  I ordered mine from Geodesic Meditech.

http://hiv-test-yourself.com/contact-german.html

The tests are still not FDA approved but I think that this is more because of the lack of counselling upon a positive result and probably their lack of confidence in most people to perform a competent test on their own.  I think there has been a lot of improvement in home tests since that article you mentioned was published (1999).  

Thanks again for everyone for their help!
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.