STDs Forum

hiv test results at 8 weeks

Hi, I engaged (stupidly) in a high risk activity on december 27, 2005.  I had unprotected anal sex where I was the bottom.  The top climaxed while in me.  He claims to be HIV negative. Even offered to show me his last test result.

I had planned on waiting until the 3 month mark to get tested but couldn't live with the not knowing so I was tested at my doctor's office on February 27, 2006.  I don't know what kind of test they did, I'm assuming the ELISA test.  They drew a vial of blood and sent it to a local hopsital for the test.  On Friday of that week my doctor called back and told me the results were negative.

I've read various sites saying anything before 3 months is pointless and others saying anything at 4 - 6 weeks is reliable.
My question is, how reliable is the result at 8 to 8 1/2 weeks when I had it done?  I still plan to get tested in about two weeks at the 13 week mark for peace of mind.

Thank you for your help!

Willl, cbonner and wwarrior have me down pat:  Your risk is low, in view of 1) the likelihood your partner was telling the truth and not in the HIV seroconversion window (i.e., infected an not yet positve when last tested); and 2) the fact that even if he was infected, the risk for any single episode of receptive anal sex averages 1 chance in 100-200.  Add to that the low likelihood of not being positive yourself at 8 weeks, and the odds you have HIV are astronomically small.  However, because it was a relatively high risk type of exposure, in your case I recommend another test 3 months after exposure.  You can be confident the result will be negative.

Since you described your exposure as "stupid", I won't spend too much effort lecturing you.  Presumably you'll keep condoms handy for next time and will continue to share your HIV status with your partners (and expect them to do the same) before having sex with them.

Keep safe.  Good luck--  HHH, MD
The Dr. will most likely suggest you search previous threads for accuracy of testing. I believe no matter what generation the test was, he thinks that there is only a few days difference in when the tests turn positive. It doesn't seem to make sense why they would have updated the generation so many times though.

The only chance that guy could have had HIV (if he was telling the truth about the recent test (which I am sure he was since he offered to show you) was if he was also in a window period. But that is very small chance and unlikely.

I am pretty sure the advice will be to relax, that you are negative, proven by the 8 week test no matter what ELISA was used.
Hi - Yours was undoubtably a potentially high risk exposure. i believe the doc will say your result is nearly conclusive but because of the nature of the exposure you may want to be tested again at 3 months to be 100%. but with your negative result at 8 weeks you can be confident of a 3 month negative result
You are right you did engage in a high risk activity, but at least your partner is not a cofirm HIV +.  Nevertheless your 8 weeks results is almost like shooting fish in a barrell.

However, wait for the Doc assesment.

Take care and good luck!

I came across this research today which is the best I have found so far supporting the shortened window and the difference in current test versions being minimal in terms of time to show positive. It compares 27 current ELISA's and the required confirmation tests.

http://snipurl.com/o213
In addition, the article Will identified is 6 years old and the HIV testing technology has improved considerably since then.  An 8 weeks test should be essentially conclusive.  As an FYI, I got an HIV test at 8 weeks (negative) and followed it up with a second test at 9 months (also negative).  I concur with the doctor on a followup test for your peace of mind.  It was very helpful for me.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.