STDs Forum

lingering fears over past indiscretion

36 year old, white male.  Married for 12 years and faithful with one exception.  Almost 3-1/2 years ago I was working out of town on a long term project without my family.  Regretably, I was weak and gave in to the advances of an attractive older (46 y.o.) female co-worker who had been flirting with me on and off for over a year.  We engaged in unprotected oral and vaginal sex on several occasions over a period of about 3 weeks.  Ever since I have been riddled with guilt and fear about what I had done, but could never bring myself to tell my wife.

I returned home shortly thereafter and my wife and I resumed our normal life (except the guilt) as if nothing happened.  For 3 years both us us were fine and never showed any symptoms of an std.  My wife continues to be fine but about 2 months ago I suddenly started to have some urinary tract problems.  Burning urination, painful ejaculation, fever, chills, frequent urination, tender right testicle, etc.  I went to my family doctor and after a physical examination he told me I was suffering simultaneously from acute prostatitis and a mild epididymitis.  He put me on cipro for 10 days but I only made it for 7 days until I was suffering from serious side effects. He then switched me to Bactrim for 10 days.  I completed the Bactrim, but the symptoms still did not resolve entirely.  He then put me on Doxycylene for 10 days, which helped but again did not resolve all the symptoms.  I am now seeing a urologist who believes I have either a very persistent prostatitis infection or may be developing chronic prostatitis.  I am currently on a 30 day course of Bactrim and Flomax to see if that resolves the problem.  I have also had blood and urine cultures done at 3 different hospitals and all came back clean with no sign of infection in either.

For my own sanity, I would like to know what are the chances that my current problems are the result of something I foolishly contracted almost 3-1/2 years ago?

Welcome to the STD forum.

Sorry to hear about your bacterial prostatitis and epididymitis.  But you need not worry about STD as a cause.  The only STDs that could cause these things are gonorrhea and chlamydia, and it is not possible you caught either of them 3+ years ago and they persisted this long without symptoms and then flared up in this manner.  It just doesn't happen.  Further, a woman like the partner you describe is very unlikely to have had either of these STDs; both gonorrhea and chlamydia are rare after age 30.  (CDC doesn't even recommend testing for these infections in women older than 30.)

On the other hand, bacterial infections of the prostate and epididymis, while not all that common, are not rare either.  It is a little surprising that your urine culture was not positive for a non-STD bacteria like E. coli (assuming the first test was done before you were given antibiotics), but still that isn't a reason to worry about STD.

Follow your doctor's advice about treatment and follow-up.  But don't worry about STDs.  All is well in that regard.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.