STDs Forum

molluscum AND redness on my testicles

Hey Doc,
Your posts exceed the word limit for the site.  Please do not do this.  The limits are there to be fair to all who use the site and to keep individuals from dominating it.  On to your questions, briefly.

The utility of imiquimod (Aldara) for molluscum is marginal.  Instead of wasting time, I would suggest you just bite the bullet and get them frozen.  All need to be frozen in order to cure you and then to reduce the likelihood of you infecting your GF, your concerns about oral sex, etc.   Just go on and get it done.

The rash on your scrotum could be an allergy or it could be a fungal infection.  Neosporin is not really good for either.  When you go to get your molluscum frozen, had the doctor take a look at the rash.  He/she can tell you if this is an allergy or fungus and then treat it appropriately.  With proper therapy, either problem will improve rapidly.  EWH
Hey Doc,
I was diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum back in April.  The bumps first showed up in February and are still spreading.  I've been using a perscription cream "Aldara" on the bumps but it is definitely not working.  I've had warts in the past on my knee and had them frozen off... so i definitely want to avoid having these froze off.  Is there anything else I could use or do to speed up the healing of the bumps on my penis?  If I did go through with the freezing would they need to freeze all of the bumps or just one or two?  (meaning would my immune system kick in after freezing one or two and heal the rest?) My doctor also said that I am unlikely to spread the bumps as long as I wear a condom, but I really miss getting oral sex.  How likely is it that someone giving me oral sex would get the bumps on their mouth or face?

On a completely seperate topic.  I had protected sex with a girl several times in June.  Not too long after the skin on the front of my sack (sorry for the nonmedical terms) tuned red and scaley.  It started to itch like a rash, but burned if I touched it.  I used Neosporin on on it to keep it from being dry and it seemed to work.  After about a week it quit itching / burning and the skin got really flaky and eventually healed.  I have since moved on from that girl and now have a different girlfriend.  I was completely honest with her about the molluscum and she is okay with it.  After all, my doctor said as long as I wear a condom I am very unlikely to spread it.  However, last week the readness and pain on my sack came back.  This time a little worse.  There is a place about the size of a dime (or smaller) where the skin is VERY raw.  I guess the best way to describe it is like a really bad carpet burn where the skin has been rubbed off.  This is very much how it feels too.  It burns if it rubs against my boxers or if I try to adjust myself.  I've continued to use Neosporin on the area but it doesn't seem to be working as fast.  It also seems as though the redness has spread a little more to the skin at the base of my penis / begining of my sack.  What could this possibly be??  Does it sound like something that is contagious or is it just a rash or allergy??  Is there anything I can do to speed up the healing?  
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.